Tuesday 4 September 2018

Tues 4th Sept: A morning surprise

The Temple dogs are now safe with Kirsten's Zoo
I had an unusual start to the day when I was told two small dogs were sheltering in the temple behind my house, and a neighbour's helper told me later they had been dropped at the end of the long pier by a man in a small boat.   I rushed out to see them, and found an older schnauzer and young poodle (with horrendous skin) standing in the doorway of the temple, obviously scared but still very friendly, and of course I picked them up and kept them safe until I could get them over to Acorn later. In the meantime I asked my friend and fellow rescuer, Kirsten, if she would be able to take them on as we had yet more dogs arriving from the breeder, and she immediately agreed.  I understand both dogs are currently in a foster home together, and of course starting treatment for whatever.

We had a full van going to Acorn via AFCD as there were the two dogs from Lamma, two puppies needing vaccinations, both chow chows (Jerry and Jewel) and the beagle boy (Tracker) as well as the morning's new arrivals, a labrador (now Daffy), Boston terrier (Turpin) and poodle (Dudley).  Some had microchips, others not, but only one had a license (expired of course) and that was the schnauzer.  At least I know he's ten years old, while all of the other dogs' ages were an estimate by Dr Tony.

New best friends Turpin and Tracker
One thing I have to say is that all of the breeder dogs are young, as well as very sweet and playful, so the chow chows, beagle and labrador enjoyed a good play session while waiting to have their turn on the consult table.

We have had a lot of enquiries for the new ex-breeder dogs, many good and several also not suitable of course, and I expect there will be a lot of adoptions over the coming days.  In fact one of the new golden retrievers, the oldest one but without the skin problems, was the first to find a new home and she left Tai Po today.
The first of the ex-breeder dogs and her new family


Of course with the arrival of the breeder dogs our lovely mixed breeds have to move to the back of the queue, and that's a real shame.  I do have to mention one very important thing for everyone looking for a dog to adopt and that is that the breeder dogs may be good natured but they are not in any way toilet trained.  On the other hand, our puppies that have been with us from a very young age, and are equally sweet in temperament, are pretty much fully clean.  If it was me I'd prefer the latter.
Jewel and Daffy had a fun night by the looks if it

No comments:

Post a Comment