Monday 24 September 2018

Mon 24th Sept: Happy Mid-Autumn Festival!

My day started very badly as I lost all electricity due to rainwater having got into the main fusebox during the typhoon, and finally the whole thing burned out.  There was nothing I could do until I had power back, not even make some coffee, so I took the dogs out for an early walk and to get rid of at least some of my frustration.  It's really been a very difficult time and there is still a long way to go before things can return to some sort of normality, and with another potential typhoon on the way I'm not sure I could cope.  As it is the electricity supply was temporarily restored but with the warning that the whole fusebox needed replacing.  These things might sound easy to arrange when you live in a place that has road or easy access, but my remote part of Lamma is like living on the moon when it comes to repairs.

Chippy is 10 years old now but still likes to be carried like a baby
At least I managed to get off the island and over to Ap Lei Chau for the first time in ages, and I took a couple of my Lamma dogs with me to see a vet.  Both Chippy and Hay have been losing weight steadily, and although Hay had previously been checked by a vet for the same reason and nothing sinister found, I wanted to make sure.

On the way to Acorn I stopped off at AFCD in Pokfulam as I had been told there were dogs waiting, and left with a litter of three lovely puppies (not babies but around three months old), and a pair of surrendered Shelties, also not young at eleven years.

The Shelties, now called Meg and Peggy,  are both girls and I assume sisters as they are the same age according to their licenses, and whoever was cruel enough to abandon them at AFCD had at least taken enough care of them that they are in good general condition except for their skin, another allergy case it seems.   They were so happy to get out of their kennel and into the van, and we (Ming the driver and I) had trouble keeping them still for the drive to Acorn.  They were bouncing around and wanting to help with the driving, so I needed to hold them tightly on my lap to prevent an accident.

Best friends Jack and Beano
Dogs are almost always happier in pairs, and now that I'm able to write about Sunday's puppy afternoon in more detail I wanted to mention little Jack and his best friend Beano.  They are both being fostered in the same area, and have become close after meeting up every day on the local beach where there is a dog playgroup arranged by the helpers.  Neither foster was aware of the other's presence in the village, and it was only when Jack and Beano spent the whole three hours happily playing that the connection became clear.  We know Beano misses his brother Sailor, now adopted, so he has obviously chosen Jack as a replacement.

Jack is just a little boy and will always be small in size
Jack is a very small puppy, now over five months of age and with all of his adult teeth through, and he's such a social little guy, and very easy according to his foster parents.  We would love to find him a forever home, and if it's with another dog that would be perfect.

Babette (left) is formally adopted


We're very happy to hear how well the Tai Po foster dogs have been doing in their temporary homes, and even happier when they get to stay.  Babette and Butter have had their adoptions formalised, and there are others in the pipeline which I hope will be confirmed very soon.
Butter's foster stay became permanent

No comments:

Post a Comment