Sunday 16 September 2018

Sun 16th Sept: Typhoon Mangkhut

In the morning there was a pig farm here
Once again my post for today will be a short one as there is a huge amount of cleaning, tidying and repair to be done after the devastating effects of Typhoon Mangkhut.  I can't even begin to describe what it was like to be right in the line of a terrifying wind, and a sea surge that was so high and strong that it totally demolished the old stone-built pig farm (disused of course) in front of my house, leaving a completely new landscape.  The dogs that weren't inside my house (and many were so confused they kept running out) had their shelters totally blown away, even though there had been a lot of pre-typhoon strengthening.  It was all in vain because the wind was so intense, but we survived.

Staff and volunteers braved the weather at Tai Po
I was thinking all day how grateful I was for the fact that many dogs had been taken to foster homes from Tai Po, and that we had staff and volunteers at both Homing Centres who took care of the remaining numbers.  There is damage of course, and just as every other dog shelter across the New Territories will be facing, it's going to cost a lot of money and time to repair.  However all dogs are safe, and that's important.
Cleaning up


Of course we need volunteers at Tai o to help with the clean-up, and if you are already registered please just turn up when you can.

I want to give a special mention to those dog owners who left their animals out on rooftops and without shelter during the typhoon.  I sincerely hope these people are identified, prosecuted and have their dogs removed. There are a lot of upsetting photos and video footage of dogs in distress, and I should imagine there were casualties.

No comments:

Post a Comment