Tuesday 5 September 2017

Tues 5th Sept: Inca and Godfrey

Inca is not a breed
I went to pick up the puppy from AFCD that I couldn't take yesterday, and hardly dare post her photo as I know she will be "Most Wanted" until she gets adopted, which might actually be on Wednesday if everything goes according to plan.  Inca, as I have called her, is a perfect example of the reason why there's no need to insist on a named breed because honestly, could you find a lovelier puppy?

At the same time I took out an old shih tzu that had been surrendered, and although fourteen years he looked in pretty good condition.  At least he had two eyes that seem to work and I couldn't see any skin or other problems.  It was only when I went to pick him up that I realised something was very wrong as he started screaming in pain.  It was very upsetting as I knew I had to move him but at the same time his cries were loud and he was trying to bite me, so in the end I had to resort to using a poop scoop and a brush to shovel him into the crate.

When I got to Acorn it was unusually quiet, so Dr Andy was available immediately after I begged him to put the poor dog out of his misery as quickly as possible.  I was distraught after having had to cause so much pain so I opted to stay out of the consult room during the procedure, but could hear the cries as I stood in the waiting room with the puppy Inca.  When it finally went quiet I opened the door to find the shih tzu on the table and still alive, while Dr Andy said he thought the problem was back and neck pain rather than anything internal, and would I mind if he tried painkillers and rest to see if that could resolve the problem.  Often these types of spinal issues are excrutiating but not incurable. Of course I agreed, and Godfrey (as he was quickly named) was taken off to stay in a hospital cage after a shot of something strong enough to ease his suffering.

After that little drama it was plain sailing for Inca as she was checked over and vaccinated, ready for her new home and life.

(After having just written this I got a call from Dr Andy (on Wednesday morning) to let me know that Godfrey was still in pain and unable to stand, so we agreed it would be best to let him go. Nevertheless I'm grateful to Dr Andy for wanting to give the poor little guy a chance even if it didn't work).

We're all set to go for Saturday's "Diamond Dogs" Gala Dinner, with a full house and last minute glitches sorted.   Although it's not my event in terms of organising, I do get nervous before every big occasion so I'm happy to have Jamie at the other end calmly telling me it will be fine.  It's going to be a great night, guaranteed!

If you haven't had a look through the auction items yet, here's the live link.  You can bid online even if you won't be there in person:

https://www.hkdr2017auction.com/lite-ui/#lots?category=All%20Lots

No comments:

Post a Comment