Monday 11 September 2017

Mon 11th Sept: A huge relief for me and Bali

Bali loved his walks 
Over the past couple of years I've watched the slow but inevitable progress of degenerative myelopathy (DM) in my dog Bali, a horrible disease that affects the nervous system and works its way through the body starting with the hind legs. Bali hasn't had the use of his back legs for some time now but he still enjoys his strolls in the buggy with the other dogs, at least as far as we can go until the path up the hill and through the woods is impossible.

The knowledge that some day soon I would have to let Bali go has always been at the back of my mind, and recently he has been waking me in the night with his crying.  That usually means he's wet himself and wants me to change his bedding, but recently it's been for no apparent reason.  So being completely exhausted due to having to attend to Bali's nocturnal cries multiple times (as well as Murphy's own separate needs which also regularly get me out of bed), I had to make the dreaded appointment for today with Dr Andy.  I knew neither Bali nor myself could continue as we were, but then today there was a change in him.  He seemed happier and perkier and wasn't crying as he had been, so rather than just go ahead with the euthanasia I asked Dr Andy to check Bali over.  His bloodwork was find but he has a urinary tract infection, so it was that pain that was making him cry and I ended up leaving Acorn with a prescription for antibiotics rather than a dead body.  Nothing changes the fact that there is no cure for Bali's main condition, but at least he didn't need to die today.

Degenerative myelopathy is a progressive disease of the spinal cord in older dogs. The disease has an insidious onset typically between 8 and 14 years of age. It begins with a loss of coordination (ataxia) in the hind limbs. The affected dog will wobble when walking, knuckle over or drag the feet. This can first occur in one hind limb and then affect the other. As the disease progresses, the limbs become weak and the dog begins to buckle and has difficulty standing. The weakness gets progressively worse until the dog is unable to walk. The clinical course can range from 6 months to 1 year before dogs become paraplegic. If signs progress for a longer period of time, loss of urinary and fecal continence may occur and eventually weakness will develop in the front limbs. Another key feature of DM is that it is not a painful disease.

I'd kept the day clear of any other appointments in anticipation of being a total red-eyed wreck, but once I had bounced out of Acorn feeling so relieved I decided to stop off at AFCD on my way home. I had some non-urgent paperwork that needed sorting out and thought I might as well see to it as I had the time.  I wasn't expecting to take any new dogs out but there was a surrendered "corgi", a victim of the Public Housing "no dogs" policy, one which is blatantly ignored until the eviction notice arrives.  I can't tell you how many applications we get from "No Dogs" homes, including Public Housing residents, who say many people keep dogs and it's no problem.   Many of the dogs that end up at AFCD are the result of this "no problem" and while many do get away with it, the risk is too high.

Not-a-corgi Basil
Anyway this particular dog which the ex-owner was adamant was a corgi is a four year mix, a small-sized mongrel or crossbreed at best.  It's fine as far as we're concerned, but someone certainly got taken for a ride when they handed over the money for a corgi puppy.
Hazel was fine on Sunday


There was an additional puppy adoption to add to Sunday's total when little Hazel was adopted, but when her foster parent dropped her off at our Ap Lei Chau Homing Centre for her adopter to pick up, poor Hazel's face was swollen like a balloon.  We can only assume it was an insect sting as it was also painful, so I really hope it's better now.
Sarah leaving Tai Po


Tai Po dog Sarah's adoption was formally confirmed, and you can see what a beautiful and very sweet girl she is from her photos.  Hopefully there will be a lot more adoptions from our main Tai Po Homing Centre over the coming months when the weather is cooler and the heat less challenging.  We have literally hundreds of really sweet dogs of all ages, size and colour waiting to be chosen, so please drop by any day of the year to meet them.  We are open every single day from 10am to 6pm, regardless of weekends, holidays or typhoons.

Sarah a happy dog

Sarah at home

No comments:

Post a Comment