Wednesday 13 July 2016

Weds 13th July: Chewy needs help

Good or bad news for Hilton?
As I thought would happen, Hilton made a valiant attempt at following me and the dogs as we left for our morning walk, but I couldn't let him come.  At least it allowed me to better assess the situation and change my mind about what was wrong with him, and now rather than his lameness being due to failing health it looks more like a dislocated hip.  He had very bad hip dysplasia as a puppy, but as he grew older and started exercising he coped very well and it never stopped him from walking for miles and running just like the other dogs.  However, as I know from others who have hip dysplasia,  it's quite easy for the "ball" to come right out the socket as a result of any accident, and maybe Hilton slipped on wet mud or something as simple as that.  It's good news and bad, because although surgery to cut away the femoral head is relatively simple and very effective, Hilton is an old dog and any surgical procedure is a risk. I'll know more after seeing the vet on Thursday.

Chewy is beautiful and very sweet but she can't stay at Tai Po
We have another difficult case at Tai Po, and one that has perplexed the vets as much as all of us.  This involves a lovely dog called Chewy, a German shepherd cross who had lived on a fishing boat her entire life before being surrendered to AFCD.  Shortly after she arrived at the Homing Centre she started sneezing and blowing large amounts of mucous from her nose.  She has had all sorts of tests to find out what the problem is and the results have come back negative for anything identifiable.  I even asked AFCD to contact the ex-owner to find out if Chewy had any previous history of a snotty nose, which they very kindly did, and the answer was no, she was always very healthy (as she had been when I first took her out).  Now we are left with what seems to be an allergy to the Tai Po Homing Centre itself, or rather the environment, so the only thing left is for us to move Chewy out and into a home.   If anyone can offer a foster space for her, please let me know.  Chewy is a very sweet girl with no behaviour issues, but we can't keep her at Tai Po when she is sneezing and losing weight as a result.  Please email me at sally@hongkongdogrescue.com if you can help Chewy.

Alison and Jersey (right ) on a recent day out
I'll be at Tai Po myself on Friday for what are becoming increasingly rare visits due to heavy work commitments elsewhere, and it's always a bitter-sweet time for me as I get to see my ex-Lamma puppies again.  Of course they are all grown up now and many are middle-aged, but some remember me as much as I do them, and greet me as though I was there only yesterday.  It's very hard for me to know that despite our best efforts in finding them homes they are still there, year after year, waiting and hoping.  Probably that hope is from our own human perspective, but still I know that they would love to be in a real home and have a soft bed and cuddles on demand.  Sisters Alison and Jersey, as well as their brother Felix, are three such dogs, and I can't wait for the day when I can post their adoption photo.

Alison and Felix at Whiskers N Paws as puppies

Felix as a baby


No comments:

Post a Comment