Thursday 21 July 2016

Thurs 21st July: Not the happiest of days

In memory of Suzette
It wasn't the happiest of days today with the very sad news circulating on Facebook about the death from cancer of a young animal activist, Suzette Ackermann, and from the hundreds of tributes pouring in it's clear that Suzette was an extraordinary woman who touched many lives through her love of dolphins in particular, but also as a dance and yoga teacher in Hong Kong.  I hope her family can see all of the posts and take some consolation from them.
Guido Tiger Larry

My heart also went out to the human parents of Guido, a funny bulldog-type dog who I remember describing as being made up of spare parts when he came to us as a youngster during our Pokfulam days. For some reason he was given two names, Tiger and Larry, so he became known as Tiger Larry until his adoption.  Guido's life had to come to an end today, and that final journey to the vet is the hardest one to make for all of those for whom a dog is not "just a dog" but an adored family member.

On top of that while my Murphy is getting better in all respects, Hilton's second back leg has now stopped working completely and he is having to drag himself around on his two front ones.  Wheels would seem to be the obvious solution if it weren't for the fact that apart from a short stretch of flattish path in front of my house, it's either beach one way or steep hills and steps the other.  It's the most heart-wrenching thing to see him trying to come on the morning walk, and there's nothing I can do to make it better.  Sometimes loving dogs so much seems like a punishment rather than a joy.

A young Murphy
When I write my blog and have to look for photos to illustrate it, I get lost in the hundreds that I have going back many, many years. Most of the early dogs have long since died, and I'm just happy to have some kind of memory of them stored in my computer.  If any adopters or volunteers want to see if I can find baby pictures of dogs, let me know and I'll see if I have any.
Hilton as a puppy
Here's Tai Po Cheeky as a baby


1 comment: