Tuesday 5 July 2016

Tues 5th July: A good reminder

Topper is a prime example of what can go wrong  He is still waiting for a home
I had a good reminder today of why I never post "breed" puppies on Facebook, as I did so this morning and almost immediately regretted it.  I was so inundated with adoption enquiries that I quickly deleted the post but still spent the rest of the day, and my entire evening, replying to emails.  I still have many unanswered due to the fact that I just couldn't cope with the numbers, and it's left me feeling incredibly sad.

Why?  First of all because there are all of these homes willing to take in a puppy, yet we have so many mixed breed pups that nobody wants.  It's not even size-related as many of our puppies will not be large when fully grown, and corgis aren't exactly small.  In fact they're big dogs with short legs who also happen to shed a lot.   Not only are corgis not what I would call small, they can also develop serious behaviour issues if they aren't given the physical and mental stimulation they need, as well as company and training.  We have such adult corgis at our Homing Centre and on Lamma, so I know what I'm talking about.

Tony and Suzie are both smaller-sized puppies
What saddened me even more than the fact that there are very nice homes out there who are happy to take in a corgi pup, are the really terrible ones, many of which already have a dog that is left alone for very long hours and barely walked.  There were a lot of applications to adopt from people who should not have a dog at all, let alone a puppy.  I was shocked but also really upset when I was reminded of the miserable and lonely lives so many pets have to endure, and I wonder how many hours the owners spend sitting in front of their smartphones or computers instead to taking their dogs out for some exercise and fun.  It's wrong and totally selfish to have any animal that you're not prepared to look after properly, and that means giving up your own time.  If you're out at work all day and you don't have or don't want to employ someone to walk or be with your dog, don't have one.  If you don't like walking or prefer to hang out in bars or at home, again don't have a dog.  It's as simple as that.

Nando is another smaller-sized dog, almost fully grown now. 
For now please don't send and more requests to adopt a corgi puppy, thank you.

If you would consider a small-sized adult or a mixed breed, I'd be happy to hear from you.


No comments:

Post a Comment