Friday 15 July 2016

Fri 15th July: A day at Tai Po

Target was today's lucky Ap Lei Chau dog
Another lucky small dog left Ap Lei Chau today, so it's been a good week so far for the little ones. Target was yet another unknown in terms of age or history, having come to us from AFCD after he was picked up as a stray without a microchip giving any information about age or owner.  The AFCD vet estimated he was around two years old so that is now the official age recorded on his license, not that it matters that much now because he has found his forever home.

I spent the afternoon at the Tai Po Homing Centre, which as I mentioned makes me feel very sad for all of the lovely dogs that have been waiting so long for homes which have yet to materialise.  "My" girls Alison and Jersey greeted me with the same enthusiasm that they always have, despite the fact that it's been years since they were puppies at my house on Lamma.   In the end it was their brother Jinx's good luck that he had a broken leg as a baby, because he ended up staying with me as a result and is one of the group that joins the daily hike and sleeps inside on a soft bed.  I wish I could offer his sisters the same comforts and luxury.

Gypsy is another dog who always pulls at my heartstrings, and I can't forget her as a puppy and the surgeries she needed on her front legs to enable her to walk.  Until she was old enough to have remedial surgery she used to walk upright on her back legs which was very cute, although of course not desirable in the long term.   Gypsy has a few things that are "different", rather like my "wobbly dogs" on Lamma, but I love her all the more for her little wonky face and big lop-sided smile.
Gypsy will always be special to me

Domino will miss her friend Penny if she leaves on Saturday
The weekend is upon us again and Sunday means Whiskers N Paws, just as it has done for the past six years or so.  Since last Sunday we have said goodbye to three lucky pups who were there last Sunday but have since been adopted: Suzie, Fanta and Oscar, and on Saturday sweet Penny is going over to Ap Lei Chau to meet her potential family.  Even if she ends up being taken to her new home and not coming back to Lamma we still have plenty of others hoping to be as lucky.  There are the four gorgeous brothers: Tim, Jonny, Wiggle and Jonas, as well as Oscar's identical sister Mole, siblings Creamy and Goldie, Penny's best friend Domino and her sister Cherry,  and
Jonny is also in foster
two first-timers.
Jonas has been in a foster home with Wiggle

No comments:

Post a Comment