Tuesday 26 July 2016

Tues 26th July: Getting ready for our Flag Day

Our first ever Flag Day marks another milestone in HKDR history
In anticipation of the typhoon-related rain and thunderstorms that were forecast, I had to make sure that I had stocks of food and water at home as there are no shops within miles of where I live.  It's true that water comes out of the taps but as it's often brown and contaminated with who-knows-what, I have to go against my conservationist principles when it comes to drinking it.  At least the bottles don't go to waste as they make very popular dog toys and there's always a willing taker. Our van driver Michael had to drop off all of the collection bags and stickers for Wednesday's Flag Day (actually morning only) , so other than a quick visit to the office and the Ap Lei Chau Homing Centre before a supermarket run, that was my day. In any case I want to spend more time at home in these final days of Hilton's life, although there's little I can do to help him other than just being there.

The old days of walking in the quarry
The first-ever Flag Day for HKDR marks another milestone in our history, and it's funny how the past often pops up to remind me of earlier days.  On a personal level I received a catch-up email from someone I'd worked for in London when I was in my twenties, and today I was sent an updated YouTube link for the film "This Darling Life" (https://youtu.be/cBk_vLarALk)  which was made some years back.  Looking at the short section which I appeared in (starts at 41 minutes if you want to see it) makes me nostalgic for the days when I could walk in the old quarry and the Pokfulam Kennels, not to mention the dogs who are no longer with me.

How times have changed.



1 comment: