Sunday 3 March 2024

Sun 3rd March: More new dogs, and more Lamma stories

Now Freda (l) and Freckles, both under 2 years old 

It's a frustrating time with so many dogs coming in, and the still-unresolved issue of a new Homing Centre hanging over our heads.   We're getting a lot of interest in the new dogs, but the irony is that when there's so much choice it makes it harder for would-be adopters to make a decision.  I can see the problem, but it doesn't help us when we're trying to squeeze dogs in and get them to the vet for their health checks, assess their behaviour and even give them names.  In fact I have only just come up with names for the latest two arrivals, the terrier-types that I mentioned in yesterday's blog.  As usual, the photos I'd been sent must have been taken just after grooming, or some time ago,  as they looked pretty scruffy when they turned up today, but at least we know how they should look once cleaned up. 
Freckles clean and tidy

A younger, cleaner Freda

The puppy party took place at Whiskers N Paws as it always does, and Jimmy Tsang was the volunteer photographer for the day  Puppy Adoption Day 3rd March 2024 . Of course there are so many great shots so I hope you enjoy looking through them all.   I certainly do! 

Once again I was tied up with my own Lamma issues today, at least this time regarding dogs and not lack of water and sampans.  The first appointment of the day was a meeting with cocker spaniel Phaedra, and some of you may remember her story, or at least the fact that she's been living on Lamma since she was found abandoned as a one year-old.  A few people have shown interest in meeting her with a view to adopting, and there have even been a couple of failed trials, the reason being that Phaedra doesn't like strangers and will bark aggressively at anyone she doesn't know.  I had pre-warned today's couple about this and suggested they bring a soft toy to bribe Phaedra, which they did.  I had also told them that although her bark seems to be scary, in fact it's all show and she's easily distracted.  Luckily, and as I knew would happen, after the initial screaming bark Phaedra was very happy to accept the toy and to start destroying it.  After that she walked very happily with the would-be adopters, and the result is that they would like to take her for a trial once the renovations on their home have ended.  Maybe this time it's going to work out. 

Ziggy found himself a soft bed 

In the afternoon I had arranged to meet with a foster of a dog who had been adopted as a puppy at Whiskers N Paws seven years ago.  He was called Wigbert back then, until his name was changed to Ziggy by his new family.  Ziggy became a regular at the Sunday Puppy Parties, so I saw him grow up.  All seemed well until the adult daughter left Hong Kong, after which the parents no longer wanted Ziggy.  I was absolutely furious, because this situation is something that is even mentioned on the adoption questionnaire, as in if you're adopting because the children want a puppy, do you understand that the children grow up and things change.  Anyway, Ziggy was taken for fostering, during which time it was found that he wasn't well and he probably had some kind of immune mediated disease. Any hope of finding him a new forever home disappeared, so when the foster parent was also unable to keep Ziggy any longer I had no choice but to bring him back to my house.  

Introducing an adult dog into a situation where there are already many other established dogs isn't something that should be taken lightly, and I really had no idea what would happen.  However I made sure that I took over Ziggy before he got to my house, so that I was the one that walked him in.  Of course all the dogs immediately wanted to check this new boy out and I let them have a good sniff, while reassuring Ziggy that I was with him and keeping him safe.  After that I walked him into the kitchen and settled him on a bed, and so far everything has been calm.  My dogs were remarkably accepting of this stranger, and I made sure that I rubbed my hands all over him so he had my smell to hopefully make him one of the family. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh poor Ziggy being abandoned by his owners. I remember his name and his story. Well, he's very lucky to end up with you. <3

    ReplyDelete