Saturday 3 February 2024

Sat 3rd Feb: Finally it's Hugo's turn

Hugo 

Although not an adoption (yet), I'm happy to be able to say that golden retriever Hugo has finally left our Tai Po Homing Centre on a foster basis, and to lose weight and build fitness.  Although still relatively young,  Hugo came to us massively overweight, and that's not heathy or fair for any dog.  I'm looking forward to the updates on his progress, and maybe the news that he won't be coming back. 

We did have quite a few potential adopters coming to meet the Kennedy Town dogs today, but nobody who can take a dog immediately.  Also, and as happens in so many cases of new dogs or puppies coming in, there are a lot of enquiries about puppy Merlin, not all suitable for his particular character. We try to match the potential homes with the personality and energy level of each dog or puppy, although some people take it personally when we suggest they consider a different choice.  This really isn't the case, we just know how important it is that both sides are happy and that everything works out. 

 I'm just starting to panic slightly at the prospect of the Lunar New Year holidays, not because of the adoption slowdown this time, but because I remembered that vet clinics will either be closed, or at least operating with minimal staff and emergency-only service.  Our van driver will also be on holiday, and I can't imagine finding a hire van is going to be easy. With so many of my Lamma dogs reaching old age, at any given time one of them could suddenly go downhill fast and it's often not the one I expect. Certainly I'd never been concerned about Zola, who died suddenly the other day, but now Puppy Girl (who still has her temporary name fifteen years later) is worrying me, and I found a suspicious lump on another dog which I should really get checked.   The other problem is that the dogs that live with me aren't used to leaving the house and the very quiet environment that I live in, so it's a huge drama even getting them over to Hong Kong Island.  Life is never dull - or easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment