Thursday 30 July 2020

Thurs 30th July: Friday is the last day for Cube Calendar inclusion

Friday 31st July is the last day for submissions for the 2021 Cube Calendar
Can you believe it's almost August?  The year so far has been such a strange period that it almost doesn't seem real, but unfortunately it's not a dream and everyone has had to face the challenges thrown at us. As bad as it seems it's always helpful to remember that there are others suffering far worse hardship, and at HKDR at least we've kept going and stayed open every day, not least because the dogs can't take care of themselves.

I'm incredibly grateful to have my island hideaway with the dogs where I can pretend everything is perfectly normal, although I still have the dogs to take care of and that has recently included accidents and injuries (including myself), sickness and two deaths (Murphy and Mercy).  Many of my dogs are getting old now so there are inevitably those reaching the end of their lives, and considering two are now seventeen it's always a surprise to find them eager to start the day when I come downstairs in the morning.

A no-show today
We were expecting the four terrier-husky dogs to be surrendered to us today and even had adopters and foster homes waiting, but at the very last minute we were told the dogs wouldn't be coming.  Had that meant they would be staying in their home and being properly cared for it would have been different, but I was asked to help re-home the dogs because that isn't the case.  I hate having to break up a dog family but when the alternative is even worse then it can't be helped.  Now the dogs might be coming on Saturday instead, but I need absolute confirmation and won't believe it anyway until it happens.

It's incredibly frustrating to be asked - begged - for help, doing my utmost to find a solution, and then at the last minute being told it's OK, the dog has been given to someone else.  It happened with the chocolate labrador, and an old pug whose family had emailed over and over again about.  To make it easy for everyone, and especially the dogs, we try to arrange for them to go straight into a new home, but even if I confirm several times that the dog is really going to be coming it makes no difference.   I hate having to be cynical, but it's hard to believe what people say and promise when it ends up being time wasted.

We had a few potential adopters coming to meet the dogs today so I hope there will be some happy news to share over the coming weekend, as well as the adoption total for July.  Please do remember to complete the adoption questionnaire as a first step if you're interested in meeting our dogs and puppies: www.hongkongdogrescue.com/adopt/adoption-questionnaire/

No comments:

Post a Comment