Tuesday 23 May 2017

Tues 23rd May: Thankful for kindnesses shown

In this work I see the best and worst of people, or at least as far as views on dogs are concerned (I deliberately keep politics out of my blogs). Today we said goodbye to two old foster dogs who had reached the end of their natural lives, but were at least loved and taken care of until their final breath.
Tansy the day I took her from AFCD
One of these was a little dog called Tansy, and she had been in hospital for a few days in the hope that she would recover from her breathing difficulties and could go home again.  Sadly she suffered a seizure this morning and her condition worsened, so the decision was made to let her go.  Her foster parents wanted to be with her so hurried over to Acorn to say goodbye, and on Wednesday morning welcomed their own human baby into the world.   I think it was a wonderful act of kindness to be thinking about Tansy and her wellbeing at a time when a baby was about to be born, and in the greater scheme of things appropriate that as one life came to an end, another began.
These were Tansy's nails at that time

The second dog to leave was Jonah, an old boy who had been struggling for a while so his end was an act of kindness.  He too was in a foster home, so I would also like to say thank you for the care and love given when it was most needed.
Jonah was 15 years old when this photo was taken


Thanks too to the kind sponsor of the new fencing that was delivered to our Tai Po Homing Centre today, and which will be the first stage of our big renovation there, as well as the sponsor of the two dryers that also arrived - and just in time for the rain.
The renovations will start with new fencing

One of the lovely labrador girls
I wasn't intending to go to AFCD today but dropped by to get new licenses for the two ex-breeder chocolate labradors that came to us recently.  (They are still waiting for homes or fosters by the way, if there are any labrador fans who could take them in).  While I was there I decided to take a poodle who had been surrendered a while ago, and who had been difficult to befriend due to his intense fear. I'd been taking it slowly and giving him treats while sitting in his kennel, and although he was still unwilling to come to me I couldn't leave him any longer.  I looped a leash around his neck and walked him out, and as he refused to get into a crate I sat him on my knee for the drive to Sai Ying Pun.  I could feel him relaxing bit by bit, and by the time we arrived at Acorn we were best friends and he wanted me to carry him, which I did, while my Lamma dog Biff was being seen by Dr Seems, and also puppy Edward.
A very happy-looking Barry (White)

The next stop was Ap Lei Chau, and I wondered how Barry would handle the New Dogs Welcoming Committee.  All new arrivals are given the once-over by the residents, adults and puppies alike, and it can be very scary for the short time it takes for the crowd of sniffers to approve and then disperse.  It seemed he did well, and the photo Iris sent me, taken at the nearby dog park shortly afterwards, shows a very happy face.  Barry is five years old if anyone is interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment