Thursday 25 May 2017

Thurs 25th May: More little ones

Pom Alison is also from a breeder
I'm going to be tied up with other things on Friday,  so today was the last normal working day of the week for me before Sunday and Whiskers N Paws. I had to take the three new small dogs to AFCD for rabies vaccinations, the licenses of the now ex-breeder dogs having expired and the other pom not even having a microchip or license to start with.  While there I was shown two newly surrendered poodles, tiny little things with bubble haircuts and looking very scared.  I hope I'll be able to take them on Monday when the vet is back from leave, as well as the remaining Stanley Barracks puppy with the fuzzy face.

Dachshund mother Marble 
I had arranged to meet a potential foster for the new dachshund at Acorn, and coincidentally while I was there the adopter of the very similar dachshund puppy turned up.  I'm sure that these two are mother and daughter, and when they were introduced there was a lot of tail wagging and face sniffing.  Both dogs are very sweet, and while I was waiting for the licenses at AFCD I'd let the mother run around out of her crate, and she really enjoyed the freedom.  Once her inevitable skin issues have cleared up she's going to be a fantastic and very beautiful girl for sure.

For some reason I was thinking back to the very early days of my dog rescuing life in Hong Kong, when I knew absolutely nothing and things like dog licenses didn't exist.   I remember when the law requiring all dogs to be microchipped and rabies vaccinated was introduced and I had to take my dogs to the vet to have it done.  I didn't understand why it was necessary, but now of course I wish more action could be taken against those people who don't have it done, and breeders in particular.  There has been no rabies in Hong Kong for decades now, it's thanks to this that dogs can travel more freely to other countries, including the UK, with no need for quarantine.

This beautiful boy had never been walked
I mentioned the newly surrendered golden retriever now at Tai Po, and the fact that he was all over the place the day he came to us, which coincided with the Black Rain and thunderstorms.  As expected he's settled down now, but he is still a challenge to walk as it seems his previous owner had never walked him, ever.  So now he thinks a leash is a toy to be played with so he needs some training with that, but otherwise he's a lovely dog and extremely handsome.   If you are interested in adopting, please complete the questionnaire on our website www.hongkongdogrescue.com (under Adopt).   We have called him Tucker.

We're also expecting another labrador from a breeder on Saturday, a yellow one this time, and I've been told she's three years old though breeders are such liars we'll have to wait and see.



No comments:

Post a Comment