Thursday 4 May 2017

Thurs 4th May: A complete washout

Safari is my biggest dog but he hates the rain
What started out as a day full of plans ended up a complete washout, and not because of the heavy rain that delayed my morning walk with the dogs.   Once I got going there were only a couple of drop-outs, the usual rain-hating suspects Safari (large) and Murphy (small), but otherwise the dogs are happy to follow wherever I lead, including older dog Milo who is gradually losing the use of his back legs (Bali can now barely stand, let alone walk).  I had started Milo on steroids to give him a final boost of strength, and it worked to the extent that he could make the hike even if it meant having to be helped now and again, and he is absolutely determined that he will join the others.
Milo's 12 years old now

Halfway though the trek, which by now the dogs were enjoying tremendously thanks to the full drains and puddles, I noticed that Milo was no longer with me so turned back to look for him.  There was no trace at all so I wondered if he'd fallen into one of the storm drains and had been unable to get out.  Usually when that happens he cries loudly so it's easy to hear, but there was no sound today and it took a long time to find him.  He was in a drain as I suspected, but he was very stressed and confused, and had obviously exhausted himself trying to climb out.

I finally made it home and got the puppies and another dog rounded up that needed to go to Acorn, but arrived at the Aberdeen side to find that the van had a flat tyre and Sing, the driver, was waiting for a tow truck to take him to the repair garage.  Although Andrea at Ap Lei Chau had kindly called a hire van for me, the thought of having to handle the heavy crates by myself, and in the rain, was too much so I sent them all straight back home.

The rest of the day continued in much the same way and nothing was achieved in terms of dogs or adoptions, or getting anyone to the vet or AFCD.  It means that Friday is going to be a double-tasking day and I just hope that this time nothing goes wrong.

I had a quick check of the weather forecast and was happy to see that Sunday is supposed to be dry, and even with a bit of sun.  At the end of the week I'm always thinking about the Whiskers N Paws puppy afternoon and today was no exception.  Who will this week's lucky puppies be?


No comments:

Post a Comment