Wednesday 24 July 2019

Weds 24th July: Joining the Failed Foster Club

Foster puppies Astrid and Zoe
We have our first WeWork adoption confirmed as one of our foster poodles is going to be staying where he is and joining the "Failed Foster Club".  Our foster parents aren't under any pressure to adopt, and in fact we need to have temporary homes available, but many can't bear to give up a dog or puppy they're grown to love and that's fine by us.  Apart from anything else we know there's not going to be any settling in problems so it's only a matter of paperwork to do, this time for Archie the poodle.  There are plenty of others in foster homes who'll be turning up on Saturday afternoon, and as always I have to say how grateful we are to all of our wonderful foster parents for offering temporary home care to the dogs and puppies.  It makes a huge difference in so many ways, and if you would like to help by taking in a little guest please email Cindy at foster@hongkongdogrescue.com for information.

Meet the foster dogs and puppies here


Foster puppy Pebble

Foster dog Lucille

I forgot to mention a dog I took from AFCD Pokfulam on Tuesday, a beautiful young female who'd been found running around in Tin Wan, close to Aberdeen.  I doubt she's even a year old yet judging by her gleaming white teeth, and although she was naturally quite nervous about being taken out and put into the van, she was very sweet and easy to handle.  Her name is now Kate and she's joined the many other hopefuls at our Tai Po Homing Centre.
Kate looks like a short-haired collie 

The days that I don't leave Lamma are the only time I can spare a couple of hours to do things for the dogs that live with me, whether it's giving Murphy a haircut or trying to clip nails, usually unsuccessfully.  Quite a few of "my" dogs are those who were too shy to be adopted as puppies, and although they've become almost normal in their behaviour these days there are still those who don't want to be touched.  It's fine by me as I don't have to feel guilty about not having the time to cuddle everyone, but when it comes to needing to do certain things which involve actual contact it can be a challenge.

I knew there was something going on with Mercy, one of the untouchables, because another dog, Chungy (who started off as being very timid but changed into a lovely boy) has been constantly licking Mercy's throat.  I thought there must have been a wound there although it was difficult for me to check, but after a good licking session today when the hair was wet and flattened I could see a nasty-looking growth.  It's known that some dogs can detect cancers, and it seems Chungy is one of them because he never had any contact with Mercy normally.  Now Mercy is booked for surgery on Monday and my challenge for the day will be trying to get her into a crate and over to Acorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment