Thursday 11 July 2019

Thurs 11th July: Making a difference

Choose a puppy to foster for the holidays
It was another typical day for me, the only difference being I didn't go to AFCD to take any more dogs as we're expecting young puppies from AFCD Sheung Shui on Friday, and that's only possible thanks to offers of foster homes.  I know it's not only HKDR that's feeling the effects of the summer holidays, but more foster homes are urgently needed if any families are staying in Kong Kong during July.  Please email Cindy at foster@hongkongdogrescue.com if this sounds like something you'd like to do.  We have puppies of all ages and also adults of varying size, so there's lots of choice.

Tina is gorgeous
I was back at Acorn of course, with a number of dogs and puppies including the recaptured runaway terrier Tina.  She's a gorgeous girl and once again I'm madly in love but know that I can't have any more dogs at home.  I'm working towards reducing numbers, not adding to them, and my calculation is that in five years I might - just might - be able to take a holiday.  We'll see.  Regarding Tina, she's a young dog and has the type of rough coat that's suitable for allergy sufferers, so if you're interested in adopting (and I will envy you) please complete the adoption questionnaire on our website www.hongkongdogrescue.com (under Adopt).
This was Linus before


Tina is in good condition so there's nothing that has to be done to make her look better or bring her back to full health, but that's often not the case.   We received an update today on a corgi called Linus, a dog who was in such a pitiful state when he arrived.  I thought his ears would permanently droop and couldn't imagine that one day he would look like he does now, and it hasn't even taken too long.  All that's needed is love and time, and to be away from those hideous and cruel breeders who keep dogs in tiny cages, living in their own mess until their skin becomes infected and their spirit broken.
Linus now


Unfortunately too many potential adopters won't consider dogs that aren't perfect, either not understanding that it's only a temporary condition or not wanting to have to deal with the period of treatment.  Seeing so many before and after photos of dogs that have been completely transformed, I think these not-adopters are missing out on the huge pleasure and reward of knowing that they have made this difference to a dog's life.


1 comment:

  1. What an incredible difference there is in Linus from before to NOW! He's such a happy boy! I should post a before and after photo of my breeder dog, she also made a huge transformation like Linus. XXX <3

    ReplyDelete