Sunday 19 June 2022

Sun 19th June: Looking back over the years

Drake or Drummond, a beautiful boy puppy

 Benjamin Po was the volunteer photographer at our regular puppy party today  Puppy Adoption Day 19th June 2022, and once again I'd like to express my gratitude to all of the Sunday volunteers, whether taking photos or talking to potential adopters.  

The Whiskers N Paws  events have been taking place for many years now, and thousands of puppies have found their homes this way, so my thanks also to the store for hosting the Sunday parties and being such a great supporter for so long.  

Our relationship wit Whiskers N Paws goes back to the time when all puppies stayed with me on Lamma, and that meant sending crates full of hopefuls over every Sunday, desperately hoping that they would be coming back empty.  I can't say that I miss that particular aspect of the day, but apart from the puppies it was also an opportunity to meet many friends, adopters and supporters.  It was also a time when I knew all of the puppies well, not only their names but their personalities, and that's something that I do look back on with a certain amount of nostalgia.   

Quite randomly I went back to look at some photos from previous years and found an album from 2012.  One photo sadly reflected the typical summer slowdown, as all but one of the puppies in this photo ended up staying with me on Lamma, with half of them still very much alive and well (Grey, Griffin and Opal).   All of the dogs that remained with me on Lamma did so by default, and I didn't actually choose any one of them to be "mine".  As it happens I have been extremely lucky to have ended up keeping some amazing dogs, including Diamond (standing up at the fence) and Griffin, both of whom grew to be very special characters.  (Diamond's obsession with snakes sadly ended her life when she was fatally bitten by a cobra). 

In this 2012 shot, only black-and-white Bea in the middle was adopted


Maybe due to it being Father's Day it was a quiet afternoon for on-the-spot adoptions, although both of our Homing Centres had quite a few visitors dropping by to meet the dogs and puppies, and as always I hope that I'll be able to post about subsequent successes.  

Thank you Audy and Bea!

Even though there are no adoptions to write about it wasn't a totally wasted afternoon as we had another wonderful Twopresents  donation at Whiskers N Paws, this time from Audry and Bea.  Thank you so much for making HKDR your chosen charity. 
Gorgeous Dudley




Unfortunately older puppy Dudley didn't have any luck in finding his forever family, so he had to make the move to our Tai Po Homing Centre.  I was told he's a very happy and friendly boy, and he certainly looks that way from his photo.  You can meet him at Tai Po any day of the week now, and please bear him in mind if you want a perfect family dog.


I just received some breaking news which made me (all of us) very happy, and that's the confirmed adoption of one of the non-husky rooftop dogs, Pickle.  Pickle has bonded so closely with her foster family, and has shown herself to be an exceptionally loving dog, so she's now going to be staying forever.  Hooray for Failed Fosters!



No comments:

Post a Comment