Friday 4 December 2020

Fri 4th Dec: Friday dry day


𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙧𝙞𝙩𝙮 𝙎𝙖𝙡𝙚𝙨- 𝘼𝙨𝙨𝙤𝙧𝙩𝙚𝙙 𝙬𝙞𝙣𝙚𝙨
Assorted wines for sale at only $50/bottle, $500 per case of 12 bottles!
Come to our Ap Lei Chau Homing Centre to grab your super bargains before they all disappear!

Address: Shop A, G/F, 5 Wai Fung Street, Ap Lei Chau
Open every day from 10 am to 6 pm

 I don't know about it being Friday, but it was a dry day for me and my neighbours as we woke to find there was no water supply in the bay, and maybe further afield across Lamma, I'm not sure.  What it meant was no shower for me (thankfully it was a cold day), and no way to do any laundry or clean the house, both of which are important when I have so many dogs, at least one of which is very old and pretty much incontinent.  In fact the water supply didn't come back on until late at night, after I had already had big bottles of water sent over just in case. 


I had planned to go across to Ap Lei Chau in the afternoon to do some things and at the same time be with Cotton for her return trip to Lamma after her final ear check at Concordia. That didn't happen, and she had to come back on her own, along with the water, so I spent another day at home trying to catch up on emails.  One of these was from someone wanting to surrender his dog due to complaint from neighbours, and when I saw the photo I assumed the neighbours had actually been concerned for the dog's welfare more than anything else.  I'm going to wait until we have the dog with us before sharing the photo but what I will say is that keeping a dog in a cage is, in my mind, just cruel.  The photo I have used is of two other dogs we took in from a similar situation, both now happily adopted. I don't care if it's a puppy that needs toilet training and that the cage is called a crate (it's not a crate), it's wrong.  

Other emails I needed to reply to were asking about coming to meet dogs and puppies over the weekend, and as always I have to ask that the adoption questionnaire is completed in advance of any visit.  There are a few reasons for this, one being that we may not have what the potential adopter is looking for, and that's usually small-breed puppies or adults under a year old, often poodles. I also have to direct the potential adopter to either Ap Lei Chau or Tai Po, depending on which Homing Centre is more appropriate. The questionnaire is at www.hongkongdogrescue.com/adopt/adoption-questionaire/

At the moment a lot of people are offering to foster because of the work-from-home situation, or because children are off from school.  Sending a dog to a foster home is a tough decision for us as it means the dogs isn't available for adopters to meet when they come to the Homing Centre, so it could lose that dog a potential home.  It also means the dog being taken from a situation that it's used to, even if not ideal, and settling into the comfort of a real home only to be returned to the Homing Centre after the foster period is up.  Under normal circumstances this doesn't seem to be fair, so we would only ask for foster homes during serious typhoons or other difficult circumstances.  Baby puppies are a different matter of course, as are dogs that need to have surgery, so being in a home environment is a big help. For foster enquiries please email Cindy at foster@hongkongdogrescue.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment