Tuesday 24 November 2020

Thurs 24th Nov: So you think desexing is cruel?

 It was all about dogs and vets today, with the five newcomers going to Concordia Pet Care for their initial check-up, and Tai Po dog Jack being sent to Acorn as an emergency case (which happily turned out to be a false alarm).


Joining the group of other previously-neglected seniors like poodles Tara (left) and Paddy, one of the new females also has mammary tumours that will need a "strip".  You can probably see why I called this girl Mops, and I'm looking forward to the time in the not-too distant future when she'll look completely different.  Tara is recovering well from her first mammary strip and is getting ready for the second, after which she'll be ready for adoption.

I got an adoption enquiry today for a second dog to join a resident female, who it turned out hadn't been desexed because it was apparently "cruel" to do that.  I wish people who don't want to put their dogs through a simple spay or neuter operation when young could see older dogs like Tara, Mops and Paddy and what kind of surgery they have to endure due to the results of such a decision.  The photo shows Tara's underside after the first mammary strip, and knowing there will be a second one the same you can easily decide whether you think an early spay would have been preferable. 


After having thought about it for a while I decided to move one of my smaller Lamma dogs back to Ap Lei Chau where she'd previously stayed as an office dog.  (Miss) Piggy is a very sweet but shy girl, and being quite small she was bullied by the bigger Lamma reidents, but always greeted me so happily when she saw me walking past.  Since several of the Ap Lei Chau upstairs crew had recently moved to Tai Po, I felt it was a good opportunity for Piggy to try her luck with dogs of her own size to see if she could be drawn out of her shell.  Even if she's never adopted, I just want her to be happy and learn how to play. I tried to get a photo of her while she was at my house but she was constantly diving back into her little house so I never succeeded.  Hopefully Eagle or Harryn will manage before long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment