Wednesday 7 June 2017

Weds 7th June: Sponsors needed for a very important undertaking

The youngest of the new dogs is just under 3 years
The three breeder dogs arrived at our Tai Po Homing Centre today, all females and very sweet.  One is a typical black-and-white border collie, another a tricolour version, and the third is a golden retriever.  I posted the photos and details on our Hong Kong Dog Rescue (HKDR) Facebook page although the dogs still have to go for their standard vet check and desexing.  I hope they won't turn out to have heartworm but so many breeder dogs from the New Territories do. 
This pretty girl is 4 years old


I have already received a few adoption enquiries about the border collies but none that I would consider suitable for this breed.  I accept that the Hong Kong-bred border collies are probably a very watered-down version of the real thing, but these dogs were bred to be able to run for hours while herding sheep.  They are not only tireless but also highly intelligent, and a small apartment home offering one or two thirty minute walks just isn't going to work.
The golden retriever is 7 years old


Some time ago I left all of the mostly dog-related Facebook groups that I'd joined after becoming tired, actually quite sickened, by the way these social media platforms were being used to freely criticise, abuse or even slander individuals.  Social media is a great way to connect and an invaluable tool for sharing and spreading information, but the nastiness can be quite shocking. 

So as an example of the positive aspect of the power of social media I'd like to share the following from someone who is not only a long-term and very valuable HKDR volunteer, but is also someone who spends the rest of her free time catching and desexing stray dogs and puppies, and has done a remarkable job over the years.  Not even falling down a slippery bank and ending up with broken ribs and spleen removal stopped her, but instead the sad reality that the money to fund her TNR (Trap, Neuter and Return) work has run out has put a - hopefully temporary - end to her efforts.  I won't name her, even though many people know exactly who she is, because I don't want to get her into any trouble, but I do want to try and help with funding.  Anyone who is willing to support the efforts of the volunteers who are out there doing what should be the government's work for them, please contact me and I will put you in touch. 

Goldie now at Tai Po was one of the TNR dogs
"I would like to thank and inform everyone who has supported and helped me in one way or another regarding my TNR venture during the last six months or so, that I'll be taking a break and maybe hopefully if I can find a willing sponsor, to restart towards the latter part of the year. 

In total (this year) 86 dogs were desexed, 37 males and 48 females, in the Shek O area and Mt Davis reservoir area. We got quite a few pregnant bitches, new born pups and injured dogs. 


We managed to home most if not all of the puppies with the help of their feeders, also homed a few moms and a few friendly doglets. This is just a drop in the ocean but I'm hopeful to be able to continue should a willing sponsor come forward". 

Who can help?  Email me at sally@hongkongdogrescue.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment