Thursday 15 June 2017

Thurs 15th June: More pups to add to the pile

A bad photo of a gorgeous pup Benji
Recently there seems to have been only one day of the week where I have to get everything done thanks to the weather or lack of van driver, so today I was at AFCD in Pokfulam playing catch-up again.  I dread going there after a weekend, and even more so if there has been a longer-than-usual break, because I know there will be more dogs and puppies needing help.

The specific reason I was there today was to take out a very old husky boy who had been surrendered some time ago by his owners, and I had been delaying taking him simply because I didn't know where he could go.  Huskies aren't hot weather dogs as everyone knows, and we would normally keep larger breeds at Tai Po where they have to live outside, or certainly without air conditioning.   What made this situation worse was that now-called Icy has weak back legs, not helped by his long time spent in a kennel no doubt, and that in turn had led to screw worm infection in one back paw.  Smell attracts the flies who lay their eggs, and it takes a matter of hours for the eggs to hatch into disgusting flesh-eating maggots.  The AFCD vet had cleaned and bandaged the infected foot but I had to get Icy to Acorn, and then ...... where?  In the end I brought him home, and put him in my kitchen on a soft bed and with air conditioning and a fan.  I was afraid my dogs would object, but they were very calm about it all, probably because they could see Icy was completely harmless.  I'm pretty sure Icy had the best night's sleep he'd had for a long time.

Of course there were puppies at AFCD, three youngsters and a five month-old, all from the same home.  It makes me wonder what goes on in some homes and how people end up with puppies of different ages and how many dogs they have that are obviously busy breeding.

Look at this beautiful fuzzy face
One of the pups is a fuzzy-faced, heart-stoppingly gorgeous little girl (in my eyes anyway) with the five month-old boy another beautiful long-haired puppy.  Please come to meet them on Sunday at Whiskers N Paws, or contact Cindy about fostering at foster@hongkongdogrescue.com.  If anyone can give a retirement home to Icy the husky that would also be incredible.

5 year-old Yellow need a new home
Someone will be surrendering their five year-old beagle girl, so for fans of this breed please complete the Adoption Questionnaire if you are interested.   Yellow (don't ask me why she has that name) has no behaviour issues and is good with children (so I have been told).

No comments:

Post a Comment