Monday 19 June 2017

Mon 19th June: Lara is safe, but only by chance

Minimus is the smaller of the two brothers
The Giant Cage is in use again and sitting next to my computer, its two (hopefully very short term) residents being Minimus and Maximus, beautiful brothers I took from AFCD today.  I usually bring out the cage for very young litters, those that need bottle feeding, but arriving home in the late afternoon in the pouring rain, I hoped that these boys would only need to stay dry for one night before moving on.  If anyone can foster them please let Cindy know at foster@hongkongdogrescue.com, thank you.
Artie, Milo or Emma, I can't tell

I had to go to Acorn with the remaining three (out of six) black-and-tan puppies who were due vaccinations, and I have to say that these pups have the sweetest personalities.  We saw Dr Andy for the check-up and injections, and each pup in turn gazed adoringly into his eyes as their turn came around.  Milo, Artie and Emma came from a breeder (although they are not a specific breed) and anyone looking for a soft-natured dog should take a look at these three.   I don't know who is who by looking at them as they are identical, but you won't go wrong with any one of them.

Baby Lara the day she was adopted
The main story of the day, which I hinted at yesterday, was that the doglet found on the street outside AFCD in Pokfulam was indeed Lara.  The mother, daughter and helper had pitched up at Whiskers N Paws before I arrived on Sunday, thinking they could just leave their adopted puppy there as she was now no longer wanted.  Sometimes people leave me speechless, but what happened next was much worse.  After our trainer Cactus (who was there for the training classes) told the woman she must contact me about surrendering her puppy, they must have gone to Cyberport Road where AFCD is located, thrown Lara out of the car and sped away, leaving their bewildered pet on the street to fend for herself.

By sheer chance Lara was rescued from the street
By sheer chance, an independent volunteer who helps take care of stray in the area happened to spot Lara wandering aimlessly and was able to catch her, although both she and the puppy were in danger of being hit by passing cars in Cyberport Road.  Photos were posted on Facebook and we were pretty sure that it was Lara, which was confirmed at the Aberdeen vet clinic where she was taken to be scanned and to stay the night.   I was able to go there on my way back from Acorn to pick a very scared Lara up, and take her to Ap Lei Chau where she is now staying.
Lara at the vet clinic where I picked her up

No comments:

Post a Comment