Monday 26 June 2017

Mon 26th June: Sesame and Bertram

It's not that I have a bad memory, in fact the opposite is true thankfully, but my work means that I have to live in the present and take care of everything on a daily basis as required.  What happened yesterday is in the past and I don't have time to think about tomorrow, which is why I have to ask everyone to remind me about events planned or appointments made.  So often when I sit down to write my blog I have to concentrate really hard to recall what happened the day, before as I am already busy with today and what needs to be done.

New boy Alfie turned out not to have a microchip
Mondays are fairly easy to remember as I usually go to AFCD to check on the weekend's arrivals, though not always.  I had to go today anyway as I'd discovered on Sunday that one of the new puppies from AFCD in Sheung Shui was missing his microchip, something that is not uncommon unfortunately.  It's not that microchips routinely fall out, it's that they are not properly inserted in the first place, and it means taking the puppy back to have another chip put in.

Cosmo is just over our small size limit
It's very rare that I will find no new dogs or puppies when I go to AFCD kennels, and today there were two very beautiful three month-old brothers, and a one year-old dog who had been surrendered due to his owner's serious illness and doctor's recommendation to get rid of the dog, something that I find very upsetting as it's often totally unnecessary.  I was told the man who brought the dog was crying (it's the wife who is sick), but what's done is done and now the dog needs a new home.  At first I was going to send him to Tai Po, but when I checked his weight at Acorn before his health check and found that he is only twelve kilos, I asked Iris if she could accept him at Ap Lei Chau.  We consider any dog that weighs ten kilos or less to be small sized, so Cosmo (now called) is only just over that limit.  He's a very sweet boy and a perfect age, so please think about him if you are looking for a dog that isn't large but isn't toy-sized either.

We were able to keep Cosmo at Ap Lei Chau because the four doglets that had been staying there since they were very young puppies finally had to move to Tai Po, and we really hope that they have better luck in finding homes than they did at the small dog Homing Centre.  At Tai Po they will still be seen as puppies, and not large sized either.  It's all a question of perspective, so puppies that are seen as too old at Whiskers N Paws are the youngest residents at Tai Po.

Sesame is an older puppy, but compared to the other babies on Sundays he's too old
Sesame is one of these older puppies, and while he was very lucky to find a new foster home when his previous fosters had to hand him back on Sunday, he's never noticed amongst the other much younger babies on the Whiskers N Paws terrace.  I received this message from his new foster family, so please let Cindy know if you would like to meet Sesame (foster@hongkongdogrescue.com).

"Now that we have Sesame at home, I can see what a lovely and relaxed dog he is. I think the poor thing is so timid at Whiskers n Paws that he may never get adopted. I was wondering if your social media team could post something to that affect and extend the offer to come and see him in a home environment. Cameron is available all day so it should be convenient for most. We live in the Mid-Levels."


Bertram
The same applies to Stanley Barracks boy Bertram, who is still very much a puppy in real terms but is overlooked at Whiskers N Paws.  These older puppies are so easy as they are still young enough to quickly adapt, yet are fully toilet trained, vaccinated and ready to go for walks.

I almost forgot to mention that one of the new arrivals from Sheung Shui AFCD last week was adopted today.  Schnauzer Poppy isn't a youngster and came with some health problems, but that was all accepted by her adopters as a temporary situation, the health part anyway.
Poppy and her kind adopters

No comments:

Post a Comment