Tuesday 31 October 2017

Tues 31st Oct: Hello Halloween, goodbye October

Hooter 2 years old
I was right when I said I suspected beagles were making a comeback in terms of popularity as a breed, because while in the past it's never been easy to home them this time I have received a lot of enquiries for the four ex-breeder dogs.  However there is the usual assumption that because they are from breeders they are puppies, but no breeder gives away money like that and it's only the unwanted animals that are lucky enough to escape.  The two females are six years old with Sniffer already taken, while the two males are two years.
Beagle girl Sniffer 6 years old has been taken


I do need to reiterate that beagles are not easy dogs, and although they have a kind and friendly temperament they are noisy, stubborn and obsessed with food.  They have a heightened sense of smell even for a dog, and can sniff out anything remotely edible from five miles away and be after it with a determination that makes them deaf to any calls or whistles, and to a beagle everything is food.  They have a sound which is like a cross between a howl and a cow mooing, and they use their voice a lot.  In fact while at Acorn having all the the new dogs checked out I had to let one of the beagles out of the crate because the noise was driving me crazy.  People like the look of the breed and they are cute with their long floppy ears, but they were bred for hunting and following a scent all day long.

Scout is 2 years and quite timid
I have already had to reject several homes that aren't suitable and have received the anticipated responses that I am arrogant and judgmental and don't I realise that people in Hong Kong need to work?  This is from would-be adopters who would "try" to walk the dog every day but maybe it would be every other day, and they would be away from home for long hours. What they need to realise is that I'm doing them a favour by saying no, because I can guarantee that after a very short time the dogs would be coming back.  I've been rescuing and homing dogs for long enough (thirty-ish years) to expect the criticism and not let it sway me from doing what I believe is best for both the dog and the adopter.
Mabel, also 6 years old

If I was choosing a dog, and ironically I have never chosen a dog in my whole life, I would always go for a mixed breed.  I love their individuality and the fact that they are unique and special, and I wouldn't change those that have ended up with me by default for any others.
I can guarantee no problems with Curtis


One of those types of dogs went to Acorn today, just before he was taken home by his new family, and I can be sure that they will be very happy with Curtis.  He is the sweetest and easiest boy and the family are lucky to have found him.

Timmy at Tai Po is another ten month-old doglet who would make the most amazing family member and I really don't know why he isn't already in a home.  Go and meet him if you're looking for a fantastic and happy boy who would love you to bits in return for board and lodgings.
Sweet and squishy Timmy



Today is Halloween, not a date that had any real significance when I was growing up so I don't pay much attention it it, but it does mark the end of October which brings us to November and Peak to Fong.  The date is Sunday 19th, and you'll need to get your ticket/T-shirts sorted out if not already done.


Also don't forget that you can earn a bonus Disney Mickey and Pluto T-shirt by getting sponsors for the walk down from the Peak to Lan Kwai Fong, and you only need to raise $800 for your free prize, or $1500 to get two T-shirts!
🎉 Peak to Fong 2017狗狗同樂籌款日參加者若籌款滿HK$800,即可於11月19日活動當日蘭桂坊街頭派對上免費換領【迪士尼X救狗之家[Adoption is For Life]限量版紀念T-shirt】一件,籌款滿$1500可換領兩件! 請各位參加者踴躍收集善款,為被遺棄狗狗籌款!
🎉 A SPECIAL PRIZE for Peak to Fong 2017 Sponsored Walkers: Redeem a specially designed “Disney X HKDR [Adoption is For Life] Limited Edition T-shirt” at our Peak to Fong LKF party on 19 November by raising HK$800-$1,499, or redeem two of the above T-shirts by raising $1500 or above!
*換領詳情請留意購買PETBLE X HKDR活動T-shirt時所附送的步行籌款贊助表格。
*For details, please refer to the Peak to Fong 2017 Sponsorship Form attached with the purchased PETBLE X HKDR event T-shirts.
You can get one or two free Disney T-shirts!

No comments:

Post a Comment