Thursday 23 March 2017

Thurs 23rd March: A rare outing for Biff


Biff and Buffy, beautiful and inseparable
We're still without a van and that's making life very difficult, especially when one of my big Lamma dogs needed to see a vet as a matter of urgency.  I'd been noticing blood on soft bedding for a while but hadn't been able to identify which dog it was coming from until today, when I saw that Biff's nose was bleeding as he put his head down to drink.  Although not a good thing in itself, the fact that Biff had lost a lot of weight and was feeling quite weak worked in my favour because he's a big dog and normally very timid, but he was quite compliant when being picked up and put in a crate for the trip to Acorn.
One, Two and Three as babies

As I was going over anyway I added puppy Two, due her third and final vaccination.  She's a gorgeous little girl, very bright and friendly and looking very much like a black pug in shape and size. She'll be at Whiskers N Paws on Sunday and I can highly recommend her to anyone looking for a smaller sized mixed breed, well medium sized at most.

Dr Tony was the only vet on duty at Acorn, and as luck would have it there were a few emergency cases to be dealt with so it was a long afternoon.  As suspected, Biff has tick fever and a very low red cell count, and it's a complete mystery to me how he got it.  Not only are my dogs all given tick (and heartworm) prevention and I rarely see any ticks at all, bit being so timid Biff has refused to go further than the garden since he was a puppy.  His sister, Buffy, is bolder and likes to go out for walks or to the beach, the only time the two of them are separated.  They are so close you never see them apart normally.  Anyway I will have to go back again with Biff on Friday for the second round of treatment and I hope he responds well.

Simon looks happy now
Tiny Simon the teacup Yorkie left the Homing Centre for a short trial to see how he and the resident Yorkie get on, and so far so good.  I also got a lovely update and photo on schnauzer cross Otto, who looks so beautiful after his haircut.
Otto looks like an Easter Bunny

There are so many dogs of all sizes and ages waiting for homes, including these lovely Ap Lei Chau residents (photos by volunteer Harryn).
Ap Lei Chau residents

No comments:

Post a Comment