Thursday 16 March 2017

Thurs 16th March: Dogs and a big bird

I called him Otto but later thought Stubby might have been better
When I picked up the newly surrendered schnauzer from our Ap Lei Chau Homing Centre I could see that his legs were too short and his body a bit too long to be the real thing, but he's certainly a very cute boy anyway.  I also took the two new ex-breeder poms to AFCD with me to have their rabies vaccinations, and it goes without saying that I left the Animal Management Centre with more than just those three small dogs.  We were joined by a surrendered chocolate poodle boy and three more adorable puppies, not babies but very sweet and friendly, much more so than the poodle, who although fine with me has the typical breed attitude that we know so well.

I must also mention that I had an extra passenger with me, not a dog but a large black-eared kite that the dogs had pounced on during our morning walk.  There are of course many of these raptors flying around and they're a common sight, but they usually stay well out of reach.  I can only think that this poor bird was too busy eating something on the ground when the dogs rushed at it, and being in the woods wasn't able to fly straight off.  The only lucky thing was that as the dogs were wearing muzzles they didn't kill the kite, but its wings were broken and that's bad enough.  I expected to find it dead when I rushed over, but as it was still alive I covered it with my jacket and carried it back home.  When it came time to leave I was sure the poor bird would have died, but no, it was still bright-eyed and alive. I knew Kadoorie Wildlife Rescue take in injured kites for rehabilittation, but getting it there was going to be a problem.  In the end I left it at AFCD and called the SPCA to pick it up and send it to Kadoorie (and thanks for the help).  I don't know if the kite made it there or if it died, but I'll try to find out.

Not sure if this is Wallace or Lester as they look alike
Apart from the three new puppies I also had Lamma pups Wallace and Lester with me, as well as Boomer, all for their due vaccinations, and I made it back to the Ap Lei Chau Homing Centre just as the foster for the new schnauzer (cross) was arriving.  So he's gone off to a home for now at least, but we are expecting two more additions (from a breeder) in the shape of two chihuahua-type boys, both five years old.  The corgi girl Kerry also went off for fostering following her complicated desexing surgery, so at least that has just about left space for the two new little ones.
Pom-Chi? Coming soon anyway

Chihuahua cross coming soon
It's coming up for Sunday again and that means Whiskers N Paws of course.  We get so many enquiries for smaller-sized puppies and some of our little mixes are definitely not going to be large adults.  Three sibling sisters are staying at our Ap Lei Chau Homing Centre, as is another smaller puppy Magnet.  You can meet these little ones any day of the week between 10am and 6pm without having to wait until Sunday afternoon.
Sweet corgi girl Kerry

No comments:

Post a Comment