Sunday 19 March 2017

Sun 19th March: Rainy chaos

Of all the days for it to rain it had to be today, and although we started off outside on the terrace at Whiskers N Paws you can see from the photos that the puppies were pretty wet and miserable.  The older ones didn't care so much but in the end we moved inside where it was crowded, but at least dry. Thanks to our volunteer photographer Dani Bartlett for great photos under very difficult circumstances Puppy Adoption Day 19 March 2017 — at Whiskers N Paws


Unfortunately I didn't get a name for this lovely donor
I was also attempting to do a video interview for Two Presents, the gift sharing company, as well as accept a Two Presents donation (for which many thanks of course) so it was pretty chaotic at times.

The problems had started even before we got to Whiskers N Paws when I got a message letting me know that the HKDR van had been in an accident so wouldn't be available to pick me and the puppies up.  The damage to both vehicle and driver wasn't too serious and the other car involved accepted blame, but that didn't help when I had to get thirteen little ones in five crates over to Horizon Plaza, and it was the Whiskers N Paws van and staff who came to the rescue, and again at the end of the afternoon.
Rafi remembers me from his baby days

As I'm sitting here next to the giant cage containing the four baby pups, their little "arms" reaching out through the bars begging me to pick them up, I am reminded of Rafi, the now five-month old who was also once such a baby.  I bottle fed him and his four siblings for only a couple of days before they went off to a foster home, and although all were adopted Rafi ended up being returned.  The adopter had done nothing in terms of vaccinations or anything else, so we were actually happy that we were able to "rescue" Rafi again.  The funny thing is that I hadn't seen him since the days when he was a tiny wailing baby, as he went straight from his foster to the (horrible) home, yet he remembers me very well.   In fact throughout the three hours of the afternoon, whenever he saw me he just wanted to shower me with love and kisses.  It really shows how deeply and profoundly very young babies are imprinted with memories, and even I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't experienced for myself.  

Jack was one of this lucky litter
We already knew that Rupert, who went to foster with adopter and now also volunteer Amber, was going to be staying, and it was his brother Jack who was the other lucky one with sister Jill being taken for a trial.
Rupert at home

No comments:

Post a Comment