Friday 3 March 2017

Fri 3rd March: Poor Rafi drew the short straw

Lucky Tino and Rosa are from the same litter as unlucky Rafi
It's quite bizarre how things happen in groups, and unfortunately right now it's adopted puppies being returned.  We've had a few recently, but today's was the most upsetting of all as the "adopter" had done nothing since taking the puppy home as a young baby in terms of vaccinations, training or anything else.  Rafi was one of the same litter as Tino and Rosie (and others) and as I've written before it's not the puppy's choice to go to any particular home and while most are lucky and loved, poor Rafi drew the short straw.   In fact I hadn't seen him since handing him over to his foster parent as a two week-old after I had taken care of the litter at home for a couple of days, and he was "adopted" directly from that home.

The last time I saw Rafi he was like this

Things happen that force us to change the way we do things, and this latest incident will result in us not allowing puppies to be homed in this way even though in most cases it's much easier for everyone concerned, including the puppy.  It's unfortunate that people like the woman who chose Rafi can make things more difficult for others, but everything in life has to take into account the lowest common denominator.  As it is Rafi was brought to our Homing Centre (in a cardboard box and by the driver) too late to go to Acorn to be vaccinated, so he can't even be at Whiskers N Paws on Sunday.

Another subject I've written about many times before is dogs due to be surrendered and then never turning up. Again and again I've kicked myself for posting details of the dogs in advance and being inundated with adoption enquiries, then having to cancel everything.  The reason I wanted to have a home lined up for Max, the shiba inu, was because I knew it would be difficult for both him and us to have a dog like that at Ap Lei Chau Homing Centre.  I was trying to have an adopter ready to take him home immediately, but when the due time came and went and there was no sign of any shiba inu, I sent an email asking if I could assume he wouldn't be coming after all.  I'm happy in one way that the reply came back saying the owners had changed their minds and wanted to keep him, but being informed would have been nice.

So when I write that we are expecting another shiba inu, a bichon frise and a husky on Saturday, all from the same home, please take that as a maybe or possibly.

I have to be up very early on Saturday to make sure I'll be at the opening of the Pet Carnival on time, that's 12 noon, and I hope to see a lot of you there, as well as on Sunday at Whiskers N Paws.

No comments:

Post a Comment