Wednesday 26 October 2016

Weds 26th Oct: Zippo has his wheels

Zippo and his new wheels
We have a superstar in our midst, a beautiful ex-breeder bulldog called Zippo by us, and Bentley by his foster parents.  After posting the most recent video clip of Zippo-Bentley trying out his new wheels, there was a huge response on Facebook and lots of encouraging comments as well as suggestions.  So thank you for all of those "likes" and views, and I have forwarded any relevant messages to the fosters.

Of course it's wonderful that so many people care about Zippo-Bentley, but let's not forget how and why he came to be in this situation in the first place, and that there are many bulldogs being bred who have twisted and deformed spines just because that's part of their genetic makeup.  The same applies to French bulldogs, a breed whose popularity is increasing despite the fact that they suffer also from many health problems, something that is completely overlooked because all people see are how "cute" they are.



You all know that my own personal preference is for mutts, mongrels or whatever you want to call them, and I can honestly say that if I could choose any dog I wanted it wouldn't be a breed.  In fact I haven't ever chosen a dog in my whole life they have always come to me by chance, and maybe I have been incredibly lucky but they have been the best dogs.  My first few Hong Kong dogs were those taken off "Dog Island", including my amazing Inky who was one of a litter of babies I found there, and the rest came from AFCD over the years.   These were the ones that never found homes, or were adopted and returned like Murphy and Griffin, two very funny boys who definitely chose me rather than the other way round.  Bali was also an adoption reject and he is another funny boy with a huge character, although now struggling with the gradual loss of use of his legs.
Ranger was chosen while in foster


There was more good news about a "bad-weather" foster dog today, although as with Goa it's not the actual foster who is adopting Ranger but someone who met him while he was on his short break from the Homing Centre.  Of course we are thrilled, and it just goes to show once again what a huge difference a foster home can make, in whichever way it happens.  You must know the contact person by now, volunteer Foster Coordinator Cindy, and the email foster@hongkongdogrescue.com, so please let her know if you are able to help by taking in a temporary guest of any age or size.

No comments:

Post a Comment