Friday 7 October 2016

Fri 7th Oct: Bulldog Zippo's problem

Bulldog Zippo on his way
I guessed there must be a problem with the bulldog due to come to us from a breeder and today we found out what it was.  The poor boy had been unable to walk for a week, and these sorts of issues really need immediate veterinary action.  We'll be sending him straight to Acorn when he arrives (on his way as I type) and I really hope it's not too late to fix the damage. I have had a lot of adoption enquiries about this boy and I hope at least one of the potential homes will still want him as he looks absolutely gorgeous.
Happy to be free

The bulldog has been given the name Zippo, and he and one Yorkie will be with us on Saturday, the second Yorkie having  already gone somewhere else as so often happens.  I'm always torn between trying to pre-arrange homes for dogs that I'm told are coming while knowing from experience that so many never actually arrive.  There is a labrador in the pipeline that I'm sure will have a lot of offers but I'm wary of posting details in case this also turns out to be a waste of time and effort.

I took Kathy with me to AFCD (by taxi) in case I needed the extra hands to help, as we are still without a driver.  As it happened that help was needed as we left with three new dogs: a poodle/bichon who had been surrendered without a license or microchip (but AFCD never care about that), a corgi with bad skin and what looked like a very old shih tzu type in extremely poor condition. This poor little scrap of a boy was licensed so I needed to get him on out medical grounds, the only way there is to take a dog that technically belongs to someone else even if it has clearly been abandoned.  There are three further dogs waiting for owners to be traced, the likelihood of that being slim to zero.

After the debacle involving the pom I was accused of stealing, I can only hope that steps are taken to ensure non-licensed dog owners are punished, as well as pet shops who sell puppies without keeping any records of buyer's details  (as far as I am aware none do).  One of the dogs now waiting at AFCD has no license and only a pet shop microchip, but it will have to stay until the whole process of pretending that an owner may be traced is gone through and that can take months.  It's frustrating, but also incredibly unfair on the dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment