Saturday 22 October 2016

Sat 22nd Oct: Lovely foster home references

April and Artie in foster
It was hard to believe that at the same time just twenty four hours previously we were all braced for a big typhoon, as the sun was out again and it was a fantastic day throughout.  As dogs were coming back from their very short-term bad-weather fosters we were also getting lovely write-ups on how well they had all behaved, from the puppies through to the older dogs, and there are some very sweet photos too.
How can you fail to smile at Loofah's funny face?


I can't include them all here so please take a look at our Hong Kong Dog Rescue (HKDR) Facebook page for foster reports on dogs like funny-faced and very sweet Loofah, Kipper, Kenny, and pups Bongo, Combo, Mistral, Artie and April.  Last but not least there is Alexander,  who was staying at Acorn Vet Hospital but had to move out temporarily due to the typhoon.  I have to say a special thank you to his foster because Alexander has a feeding tube inserted in his throat as he is refusing to eat and losing so much weight.  Although it sounds and looks worse than it is, to take on a special needs dog like this means a lot to us and we are very grateful.  Alexander is now back at Acorn where they are trying hard to get some of the weight back on him in case he needs surgery at some point.

Hi Sally/ HKDR,
Alexander in foster
My name is Shelley and I was so lucky to get a chance to take care of Alexander during the bad weather. Can I just say that he's a very gentle and lovely boy, despite of his size! He's very scared and alert at the beginning but he's extremely patient when I was feeding him via the feeding tube at his throat. I was very worried about him during the nights so I slept in the living room with him and he gave me that sweet look when I woke up which is so adorable! I have a chinchilla at home but he never bothered him. He's just generally a very good boy and deserves a forever home! I hope he gets better soon and I promised him that I will visit him at Tai Po (is that where he will be at?) when he gets better! I would have adopted him but I am not very sure about my career plan for the next few years. Lemme show you a few pics! Shelley x


Ricky at Whiskers N Paws on his way to his foster home
Fostering doesn't require any commitment to adopt, although of course we are always delighted when temporary homes become permanent, and that's just what happened with Ricky.  I had been sending his foster reference out to anyone asking about medium-sized, calm and easy dogs because that's exactly what Ricky is, but today I got an email letting me know that Ricky will be staying.
Curly wasn't leaving without his ball!


It wasn't all about fostering today, as poodle Curly left our Ap Lei Chau Homing Centre with his forever family, just as another little dog arrived.  Momo the bichon is four years old and was born with a front leg deformity which means that leg is shorter than the others.  It doesn't deter her from running and playing perfectly normally, though we'll get Dr Tony to take a look and see if anything needs to be done.   In a way the leg is a good thing because it brought Momo to HKDR, and we can promise to find her a lovely home for the rest of her life.  She's a very sweet girl and that means a lot more than having four perfect limbs.
You can see Momo's short leg here






Puppies going to Whiskers N Paws on Sunday will all be coming from their respective foster homes and will include the three big newbies Bongo, Titan and the sister whose name has slipped my mind, siblings April and Artie, cute Combo and Mistral the toy collector.  Curry will also be back after his very short-lived adoption, as will beautiful Lizzie.
Mistral collected all the toys available


No comments:

Post a Comment