Thursday 20 October 2016

Thurs 20th Oct: Getting ready for the big blow

One of the 3 big babies
I had no idea what the situation was going to be as far as sampan availability was concerned, but knew there were three puppies at AFCD that were ready to leave.  I had asked Cindy if she could find foster homes as there was no way I could bring any pups back to Lamma and expose them to whatever elements were coming, and after she'd confirmed there were places offered I headed off to Pokfulam.  Old driver Hing has been very helpful in agreeing to work on odd days here and there, and today was one of those lucky days so it was easy enough getting to AFCD, although I got a bit of a shock when I saw the pups and the size of them.  They are youngsters for sure, but very large, and I had to send a quick message to Cindy asking her to confirm with the fosters that they would be OK taking such babies.  I can usually fit a whole litter into a regular sized travel crate, but on this occasion I needed two crates for just three puppies.  Luckily the size wasn't an issue for the fosters so I could go ahead with signing the pups out, worming them and spraying with Frontline.

Recent Tai Po arrival Barbie was also in the van, as she needed to be microchipped, rabies vaccinated and licensed.  She's a very beautiful eight month-old, a cross of something and something else rather than a total mix, so when it came to entering the breed into the AFCD computer system I asked for "crossbreed" instead of the usual "mongrel".

I was watching the clock and the weather as I dropped the pups off at Acorn for collection by their fosters (after vaccinations), but it was still quite calm when I took the sampan home.  My biggest fear is being stranded during very bad weather and the dogs not having anyone there to make sure they are safe, so I tend to panic at the slightest hint of an approaching typhoon.

Thanks to everyone who offered temporary shelter for the Tai Po dogs, and to Iris for volunteering to go to the Ap Lei Chau Homing Centre to take care of the dogs there regardless of the typhoon.  If any registered volunteers are able to get to either of the Centres to help you are more than welcome.



No comments:

Post a Comment