Monday 17 October 2016

Mon 17th Oct: Just in time

Curry is now adopted
To say we squeezed the Whiskers N Paws puppy afternoon in just in time would be an understatement, as by the morning I was seeing so many Facebook posts about the approaching typhoon with a possible second one right behind.  Although it was only slightly windy at the time I knew I couldn't risk leaving Lamma and then finding myself stuck for a few days on Hong Kong Island, but I did want to get the baby puppies out of the garden and into proper shelter.  Luckily the sampans were still running at that time so the pups were sent off by themselves, with Iris in a panic about where she would put them and me promising I would make sure they had all left the Homing Centre by the end of the day.  While I posted a plea for help on Facebook, Cindy was the one who dealt with all of the offers while Iris handled the actual fostering process.  I had contacted Curry's adopters to ask if they could take him home today rather than later in the week as originally planned, as as luck would have it they came at the same time as the last foster turned up.  So in the end all of the baby pups went to temporary homes with Curry being formally adopted, and older pup Gordon jumping in at the last minute to take advantage of the now-puppyless foster.
Gordon is 5 months old

I'm so glad I made the decision to send all of the baby pups away from my house because the weather is really pretty bad and there has been quite a lot of damage to the shelters and fencing.   Thank you to everyone who stepped up at such short notice, especially to the couple who ended up fostering Gordon rather than the anticipated baby.
Perry needs lots of daily medications

Combo now in foster an available for adoption

Lizzie now in foster and available for adoption

On the subject of fostering, if anyone can take in a small dog from our Ap Lei Chau Homing Centre we are always very grateful.  We have two sick dogs that really need extra care and medication, one of them being Basenji Perry and the other shih tzu/terrier Bumpy.  Bumpy was found to be diabetic as well as having a weak heart, so he needs daily insulin and heart medication.  Someone abandoned him on the street to die, and it was pure chance that I spotted him at AFCD and saw that his condition needed urgent vet care.  He was actually on the verge of death due to his diabetes, but luckily he's now stable.
Bumpy need daily insulin injections

Please email Cindy at foster@hongkongdogrescue.com if you can help either of these two dogs, or any others who don't need such intensive care.

Now I must go and continue repairs.
Artie now in foster and available for adoption

April now in foster and available for adoption

No comments:

Post a Comment