Sunday 12 April 2020

Sun 12th April: A glorious Easter Sunday

Moses and Amber have been adopted
It was an absolutely glorious Easter Sunday today, although the days are merging into one another as not having the puppy afternoons means there's no time scale.  I did think all of the Ap Lei Chau Homing Centre puppies would be gone by Monday, but today's potential adopters seemed disappointed to find that they're mixed breeds, mutts, mongrels or whichever term you prefer.  It's true, they are, but love and loyalty comes in many shapes and sizes and I don't need to tell you again that the mixes are by far my favourite "breed".

I received a lovely update about one of our mixes today, and I remember Chelsea very well as she reminded me so much of my dog Griffin, a real character and quite unique in his personality and behaviour. 
Chelsea enjoying the cherry blossom


"Hello, this is Akiko, Chelsea’s adopted mom. I hope this finds you and all the dogs at hkdr well, despite this crazy and challenging situation.

I’m writing to update you on Chelsea’s move to Kyoto, Japan. After our dramatic exit from Hong Kong in mid-March (flight cancelled, change all documents for the dogs, rearrange pick up services, etc), we have arrived here surprisingly smoothly, and we’ve been enjoying the cherry blossoms in our new neighborhood. Chelsea is doing great, as beautiful and affectionate as ever. She get a lot of compliments from people on street."

There's such a huge variation in dogs, even more than in humans as there are all sizes from tiny to giant, short and long coats, ears that flop or stand up, and especially in the mixed breeds each one has their own special character.  Even after so many years and having seen hundreds of puppies grow into adult dogs, I'm still fascinated by them and how they develop their individual quirks and behaviour, even those that have lived with me since they were babies and have all had exactly the same opportunities.


Our beautiful Ivory and Tusk 
As always our Homing Centres are open to adopters and registered volunteers, and a few dogs are quietly leaving Tai Po for what I hope will end up being forever homes.  Today's special mentions are Tusk and Ivory, the only two Stanley Barracks dogs that weren't quickly adopted.  Will it be their turn soon?


No comments:

Post a Comment