Thursday 2 June 2016

Thurs 2nd June: More from Stanley Barracks

Its quite likely that Sooty and brother Nero, also from Stanley Barracks, are related to the two black dogs I took today
When I first saw what I thought were the two Stanley Barracks doglets (halfway between being a puppy and a dog) at AFCD, the smaller one was reasonably confident while the larger one was literally shaking with fear, so every time I went into the kennel block I made sure that I stopped to spend some time talking to the pair.   Finally, after having fed them treats by hand and even the bigger one taking them from me I felt it was time for me to get them out of there, and that was today's task.

I had treats with me again which the smaller dog was eager to take, so it was quite easy to place a collar round her neck and put her into a crate.  She didn't even object when I picked her up or checked her teeth to estimate an age of seven months. With one dog out of the way I could see that the larger one wasn't the sister as she had clearly had pups before, so I assume she is actually the mother, and the fact that she had been living free for much longer would explain her fear of being confined.  She is also a sweet-natured girl, not aggressive but still not easy to get into a crate for the drive to Acorn, which is perfectly understandable.  I hope the two of them will be able to cope with life at Tai Po, and at least they have each other for comfort until they settle.
Penny is a very gentle girl, and a little bit shy, which is why she thinks she is hiding


How quickly these sisters are growing
Now all that's left for me to do this week is to get sisters Cherry and Domino, plus sweet singleton Penny,  ready for Sunday which means taking them for vaccinations that are due.  The time passes too quickly and the little ones grow so fast.  Those that are the babies one week are soon eclipsed by newer and younger puppies like our current black-and-tan litter.
The current babies make the other puppies look positively old

No comments:

Post a Comment