Saturday 18 June 2016

Sat 18th June: A dramatic day

A young Gershwin (left) in his hopeful Whiskers N Paws days
It was a dramatic and stressful day for me after one of my dogs, Gershwin, was gored in the throat by a wild boar just minutes into our morning walk.  We had only just entered the woods when I heard yelping and screaming ahead, and the dogs were hurrying back towards me when I saw the blood on the path.  I guessed what had happened as it's not the first time a boar has attacked (or killed), but never so close to my usual route before, so I did an immediate about-turn and ran back home where Gershwin was already waiting.  My immediate concern was that an artery had been severed. because that would have been the end of Gershwin in a very short time, but I managed to slow the blood flow with dressings and towels.  With at least that major concern over, the next was the danger of shock, or damage to the trachea.  Gershwin was panting hard and hoarsely with occasional coughing,  and I was afraid he was bleeding into his lungs.

Gershwin is such a sweet dog and I'm very relieved he is OK
I was torn between trying to get him to a vet as quickly as possible and thinking that he needed to calm down before making the boat trip and car journey, and as Acorn only had one vet, Dr Hazel, on duty and she was fully booked I decided to wait. At least I was able to shower and change before noticing that Gershwin wasn't drinking any water even though he seemed to want to, and that made me think that maybe I really should get him over.  By then Dr Hazel had messaged to say she would squeeze us in somehow so at least I was seeing a familiar face and clinic, and I had been offered a lift which made everything a lot easier.

I had to leave Gershwin at Acorn and got a call from Dr Hazel in the evening telling me that there did seem to be some damage to the trachea, and that it had almost been the end of Gershwin when he was lightly anaeasthetised to have his wound cleaned and examined.  Thankfully he was able to be revived and will now wait until Saturday to have any further treatment.

In-and-out Grace
On a happier note, beagle Grace quickly found a home after Andrea (at Ap Lei Chau) had contacted someone on our waiting list, while little terrier Tempo moved from a foster home in with her forever family, and the original requested trial period was dispensed with.  Now Summer, Tempo was an instant hit so her adoption was confirmed without further ado.

Tempo is now officially Summer
Talking of summer, it looks as though we will have a hot and sunny day for the puppies at Whiskers N Paws, with hopefully lots of adoptions or at least foster homes offered. Please come early if you can as we have to pack up and leave by 5pm.


1 comment:

  1. So happy to hear Gershwin is on the mend. Temp, aka Shirley, now Summer is a lovely girl and I'm so happy she found forever home!!!

    ReplyDelete