Monday 27 June 2016

Mon 27th June: Martin and Ginny, and Yorkies on the way

Ginny looking healthy
I decided to take a day off today, or rather a day at home so I could do some overdue tasks like shaving Murphy, whose hair grows an inch a day I swear, and clipping the nails of a few dogs needing manicures.  I had noticed that one of my older dogs, Ginny, had been losing weight and having less energy than previously, but today it seemed to me that she was really quite sick and I needed to get her to a vet as soon as possible.  So having already told everyone I wouldn't be needing the van and driver I had to change that, and arranged to be picked up in the early afternoon.
Thankfully Martin's adventure was short lived


One year-old Martin, who has been staying at our Ap Lei Chau Homing Centre after coming back from his third foster home, had finally been offered a trial permanent home and was picked up in the morning.  We were all so happy and excited for him, and said goodbye in the hope that this would be the last time.  As easy and sweet as Martin is, we knew he would take a while to settle in his new home and had stressed the importance of keeping him securely leashed until he had bonded with his new family and dog "sister".  However he managed to run off almost the moment he got the chance, when the car door was opened and he jumped out.

I was on my way over to meet the van at that point, but told Cactus and Ka Yan to take the van and go to Clearwater Bay where Martin was.  We knew from past experience that he would immediately respond to familiar voices, and indeed that's exactly what happened when he heard the calls.  Of course we were all very relieved that the adventure was so short-lived and Martin was safely back, although it meant that I had to take a taxi with Ginny.

I was right that Ginny was very sick, and the immediate suspicion was that she may have a liver tumour.  Although nothing showed up on the scan she is jaundiced and has a low red cell count, so for now she has been started on "liquid gold" for possible tick fever and I will need to take her back on Tuesday for another blood test.

Looking back I should have seen the subtle signs that something wasn't right, such as the fact that she changed her sleeping place and started lying right up against the refrigerator door.  That meant having to push her out of the way every time I wanted to open the fridge, and I wondered why she was being so dumb as to lie in such an awkward place.  I had put her weight loss down to the fact that she had had infected gums and needed a lot of teeth removed a few months ago, but now I can see it was something else.  It was a good reminder to be aware of even very subtle changes in a dog's behaviour because it always means something.

Chelsea is another lucky Tai Po dog
There was another happy message from Tai Po confirming the adoption of Chelsea, and if we can keep this slow-but-steady adoption rate I'll be satisfied with that.

We have new dogs arriving from AFCD in Sheung Shui including a young Maltese/poodle,  five tiny Yorkshire terriers and a pom surrendered by a breeder,  an old Sheltie (or it may be a collie), a golden retriever and a mongrel.   As Yorkies are particularly popular please complete an adoption questionnaire if you are interested in any of these new dogs.  They will arrive with the next few days.
This young Maltese/poodle was found as a stray

No comments:

Post a Comment