Wednesday 24 August 2016

Weds 24th Aug: Can we find Bella?

It was a year ago that Aladdin sparked a huge dog hunt
How many of you remember the amazing story of Aladdin and his weeks on the run before being caught and returned to Lamma?  The one thing that caught the eye of the media and made Aladdin a household name for that period was that he had run through the Cross Harbour Tunnel during his travels, and although he had started off at Braemar Hill, North Point, he was eventually recaptured near Shatin.  It seemed almost impossible to believe that a dog would be able to make its way from Hong Kong Island to the New Territories, but it did happen.

In a kind of copycat story, I received a Facebook message today from someone telling me he had just seen a collie-like dog running through the West Harbour Tunnel in the direction of Hong Kong, and I immediately thought of Bella, the Sheltie who has been missing for a couple of months now.  It occurred to me that even though Bella had lived on Hong Kong side it was possible that her abductor (assuming she had been taken) may live in Kowloon.  I asked the poster if the dog was large like a collie, or smaller like a Sheltie, and when he replied that it was more likely to be a Sheltie and that the tunnel staff were aware that the dog was there, I immediately called the owner of Bella to let her know and suggested that she went to check.  She did, and although the Sheltie was sadly not her Bella, she took photos and posted them on Facebook, which resulted in the owner seeing and recognising the dog which was by then safely with SPCA and will be picked up on Thursday morning.

Maybe Bella will come home soon
That's quite a story, and although it had a happy (and lucky) ending, I feel bad for Bella's family who are still missing their much-loved dog.  The ultimate end to this would be if the local media ran the story and somehow it resulted in Bella being identified and returned.

Murphy was asleep before I could apply his eye drops
I was at home with Murphy today as for my regular Wednesday off, which was just as well as I had to apply eye drops every two hours.  I was faced with a bit of a dilemma after I had taken Murphy's cone off so he could easily eat his breakfast, only to find he had taken himself to bed and was fast asleep when I went to put the drops in his eyes.  The question then was should I leave him or wake him up, and in the end I left him to wake naturally.  I'm not sure how he's doing as he seems to be much better during the day but cries in pain all night, which means putting in numbing eye drops every few hours if I want any sleep at all.

Just-named Rufus is available for adoption
I know I'm going to be inundated with enquiries for this particular dog, but I want to be absolutely sure that this is the last and final home for the young labrador that has already been in at least two homes.  His current family discovered that the daughter was allergic not long after they had adopted Rufus (a name I have just given on the spur of the moment), so they have to give him up.  They told me that his previous owners had obviously rarely taken him out, if at all, because at only a year old he was incredibly unfit and only knew how to use an inside toilet.  These are the types of homes that make me weep for the dogs that live such sad lives and  I'm determined that the new home for Rufus will provide countryside walks and outings to the beach, and play sessions with other dogs instead of the sedentary life of an old man with no friends.  Only if you can provide that kind of home please complete the adoption questionnaire on our website www.hongkongdogrescue.com (under Adopt).

No comments:

Post a Comment