Sunday 21 August 2016

Sun 21st Aug: A mixed box of news

The sun made a surprise and welcome appearance in the afternoon, just in time for Whiskers N Paws and the puppies,
Hong Kong Dog Rescue (HKDR) added 134 new photos to the album Puppy Adoption Day 21 August 2016 — at Whiskers and Paws
but I had other things on my mind - and my lap - as I took Murphy to Acorn to get his eye checked and treated.  He's somehow damaged it and it's very painful, and even with the new eyedrops and gel he has it's getting worse.  It's not just the pain, which is making him cry, but the fact that he only recently lost his other eye and there is a risk that we will become totally blind.  It's hard for me to take in the fact that my happy, outgoing and bossy little boy faces a total loss of sight and a complete character change.  As much as his shouting orders at me was annoying at times (like when I was five minutes late with his dinner), to see him as he is now is lying quietly on his bed and whimpering is worse than watching my other small dog Sandy's slow decline into dementia and renal failure.

Baby Lottie
With Murphy clinging onto me throughout the short time that was left when I got to Whiskers N Paws there wasn't much I could do except sit with him and watch, and I completely missed the first of the two baby pups arriving and being taken away again, and just caught the second baby as she too was chosen.
Goldie with his his new family and ex-foster
Baby Anna had left before I arrived

Older pup Goldie, whose sister Creamy was adopted by their foster, was the only confirmed adoption as babies Lottie and Anna are being fostered with a view to adoption, as is the welcome surprise of the afternoon, Olive.

Olive was one of three corgi-cross sisters who came to us last year, and while the other two siblings quickly found homes Olive was too timid to attract any adopters.   She was lucky enough to be fostered though, and gradually over the months we could see the slow change in her behaviour during the Sunday afternoon play times.  Rather than hiding in a corner she started to really enjoy herself with the other puppies, and then began to not only accept human attention, but actively seek it out.  Finally today was the day when she was taken home to see how she and the resident dog would get alone, and as much as I would have loved to have adopted her myself I'm really happy that she has the chance of a real home.
Olive really enjoyed Sunday afternoons


While I was at Acorn with Murphy, Kathy took the van and driver Michael to go to SPCA in Wanchai to pick up Dobby the almost-rottweiler who had been found wandering in Tai Tam.  Once again all attempts to contact the man who took Dobby home last year have failed to elicit any response or acknowledgement, although I know he is still in Hong Kong and at the same address in Pokfulam as I have seen recent Facebook posts mentioning the location.  It astounds me that a person with a profession as an expatriate chef can so deliberately ignore all calls, emails, Whatsapp and Facebook messages, and not only from me but also May at Tai Po, and the person he adopted a cat from.  The only good thing to have come out of this experience is that we know Dobby is fine with cats as well as being a very sweet and lovely dog.

Can anyone foster this baby?
Also at Acorn, where I often bump into ex-HKDR dogs, I met long-term Tai Po volunteer "Auntie" Sue with a baby pup she had just rescued.  Dr Andy estimated the pup to be about three weeks old, and Sue was asking if I could find a foster for it.  Being so young the baby really needs the company of another dog, so does anyone have a nurturing female who can get this youngster through the next couple of weeks at least?    Please email Cindy at foster@hongkongdogrescue.com if you or your dog can help.
Willis urgently needs a foster home please


We also have another urgent need for a foster home for sweet poodle Willis, and one that either lives near Acorn Vet Hospital in Sai Ying Pun or doesn't mind taking Willis there on a fairly regular basis while his final insulin dosage can be set.  He has started on a low level which will gradually be increased until the optimum daily dosage is established.  He needs to have two injections a day, but this is very simple to do and the special needles are so fine he doesn't feel it.   Again if you can help please email Cindy at foster@hongkongdogrescue.com.  Willis is a very sweet boy so there are no behaviour issues to deal with.


No comments:

Post a Comment