Saturday 13 August 2016

Sat 13th Aug: An eventful day

Some good news at least, (black puppy) Jenna's adoption is confirmed 
There are many days when upsetting or annoying things happen, but today must take the record for so many, one after the other and all taking place within the space of a few hours.

The first call came as I was walking the dogs, and it was from a woman who was claiming to be the owner of a poodle who had been surrendered to us recently, and she said she wanted the dog back.  I couldn't understand how she could be the owner given the dog's story, so I asked for some details. The woman said she had the mother who had had a litter (four years ago) and this dog was one of the pups that she had "given away", so now she wanted it back.  I told her it was too late and hung up, but the bizarre subject of the conversation set the tone for the entire rest of the day.

Red Bean, now Piper, is settling well in his new home
Someone who had adopted a six month-old poodle puppy from us turned up at our Ap Lei Chau Homing Centre with the now-one year old dog saying it was too active and she wanted to return it. Checking our emails to recall the adopter and any problems that might have arisen, there was only one from Cactus, our trainer, being a standard follow-up asking how things were going and offering her free services should there be any need, and a reply saying everything was fine thanks.

We took the poodle back of course, and I immediately posted his photo on Facebook after having given him the new name of Red Bean and by the afternoon he was already in a new home, and obviously a much more suitable one.   I can't say it enough times; poodle are highly active and intelligent dogs and if you don't give them the exercise and mental stimulation they need they can easily become problem dogs.  I realise now that Red Bean, or Piper as he now is, was acquired for the young daughter rather than as a family choice, and that's almost always going to end the way this story did.

I won't detail all of the other incidents and situations that had to be dealt with as they happened, but one of them has prompted me to remind all dog walking volunteers that they are responsible for the dogs they are walking, and if anything happens while the dog is under their care then they are accountable.  The reason why we had to insist on a minimum age of eighteen for volunteers was because there were too many situations occurring of younger volunteers not paying full attention to the dogs they were walking, and the subsequent consequences.  Of course there were lots of really good younger volunteers, but we couldn't continue to take the risk.  Even with older adult dog walkers there is a tendency after a while to become complacent and forget the rules until something happens, and even though all HKDR dogs are licensed in my name I can't control all volunteers and situations all of the time, and I certainly don't want to take the blame for everything.

Baby Biggles
Putting this particularly difficult Saturday behind me, I'm looking forward to Sunday and the puppy afternoon, where I will be introducing the newcomers in addition to the other pups who have already become accustomed to the Whiskers N Paws parties.   I'm also delighted that I will be handing over three turtles to their new pond and garden, the first offer I've had this year.  I will still be left with five red-eared sliders needing homes if anyone has suitable space for them.
Baby Spotty

No comments:

Post a Comment