Friday 26 August 2016

Fri 26th Aug: Tatum and Walter's big day

Tatum is quite a small girl
There were two dogs that had been waiting a long time at AFCD, one because she was licensed and the owner couldn't be traced, and the other an old dog that had been picked up from Mui Wo on Lantau and I had been hoping that somehow I could find a way for him to go back and live out his days in the place he knew and loved.  For some reason I had assumed he was a female, maybe because he reminded me of my funny old Wanda or maybe because he is such a sweet and friendly soul, but when I finally took him out today I found out I'd been wrong.  Walter is still a lovely dog, just not a girl.

There is usually a clear cut division between Ap Lei Chau dogs (small to small/medium) and those who will go to Tai Po (medium to large or giant), but Tatum (obviously her newly given name) fell between.  She is so thin she weighs less than my "fei jei" Murphy although she's a lot bigger in actual size, so I felt that Tai Po would be too much of a challenge for her while she didn't really fit as a typical Ap Lei Chau dog either.  I had already decided that Walter would come back to Lamma with me, but I had to make an on-the-spur-of-the-moment choice for Tatum after we'd left Acorn and were heading out towards ....... Ap Lei Chau.

I thought Tatum could at least stay there until Sunday and maybe come to Whiskers N Paws even though she's not a puppy, and after that we could see.  Maybe someone will notice what a pretty and sweet dog she is and offer her a home,  even if only on a foster basis.  Please.

Fabio is a lovely little boy
I had another dog with me, a very cute and happy little peke/shih tzu cross who is now called Fabio. He was surrendered because his human mother was too busy to bother with him, which was quite clear by the condition of his skin.  The woman had said he had a bad smell which can't be denied, but then if you don't treat a dog who has a yeasty skin infection then you can expect it to smell accordingly. Fabio is a lovely little guy so I hope someone will see what he will soon look like rather than his current pinky half-bald appearance.  We have seen many remarkable transformations and skin problems are far easier to deal with than behaviour issues.
We had a great group of corporate volunteers from Merrill Lynch today

Over at Tai Po we had a great group of volunteers for the day from Bank of America Merrill Lynch, and thanks to everyone for coming along to help out and to learn about HKDR and what we do.  If your company would like to do the same, please contact Cactus at education@hongkongdogrescue.com for information.
Not long to go now

The days are just speeding by and we're already coming up to the end of  summer months, when it feels to me as though the season has only just started.  Sundays come round so fast I've hardly had time to catch up on one Whiskers N Paws puppy afternoon before I have to start thinking about the next, and before you know it it will be time for our first big event of the year, "Game of Bones". I've already been thinking about what I'm going to be wearing after having completely fooled many last year with my disguise, and dressing up is part of the fun.
In disguise for last year's Gala event
The previous year and another look

1 comment: