Tuesday 23 August 2016

Tues 23rd Aug: Please just volunteer

The owner of "Chicken Legs" doesn't have time to take care of him and said he smells
I know I keep repeating myself but when you start every day by checking new incoming emails and there are inevitably at least a couple of surrender applications, it seems that the message isn't getting through.  I can't say enough times that having a dog is not a right that everyone is entitled to and yes, it can seem unfair that genuine dog lovers are turned down for adoption because they have to go to work every day and would leave the dog alone for long hours, but that's how it has to be.

When so many pets are given up because "I don't have time to take care of it", it only reinforces my absolute belief that those who have full time jobs and can't or don't want to employ a helper or at least a reliable dog walker should not have a dog.
Many volunteers would love to have their own dog
Group hikes take place most weekends
There are many volunteers at our Homing Centres who are in exactly this position, and as much as they would love to have their own dog accept that it wouldn't be fair. Instead they choose a particular dog or dogs to take special care of, and can then enjoy the fun and love without the responsibility and commitment.  It's an arrangement that suits both sides, with the dogs getting taken out for long weekend hikes or days at the beach, and volunteers not having to worry about working long hours or overseas trips.   Many of these volunteers go on to adopt their special dogs as and when their situation allows, and of course it's the best outcome possible.

I'm fully aware that not all rescue organisations are as demanding as we are about adoption requirements and allow their dogs to go to full-time working adopters, but so many of those dogs end up back with HKDR, or live miserable and lonely lives.  In fact one of today's surrender requests came from a family who had only just adopted their dog. It doesn't matter to me how many complaints I get from disappointed would-be adopters that have been turned down because they are out all day, dogs are social animals that need company.  They aren't solitary by nature, and it's very sad to see so many adult dogs that have no idea how to play or interact with other dogs because they have never had the chance to play as puppies.

Even life at the Homing Centres is often better than a home if that means the dog is alone for the majority of the day.  Taking into account the fact that most people go to bed and sleep at night, it really leaves very little time to take a dog out for exercise or to spend any quality time together.  Our Homing Centre dogs at least have full time company and playmates even if there are no humans around during the night, and going from that into isolation is no improvement.

My days and nights are taken up with caring for Murphy at the moment, and I was back at Acorn today to have further checks on his eye to make sure that everything that is needed to save his sight is being done. His condition is very painful and he cries throughout the night despite the numbing eye drops, so it's not easy for either of us.  Thanks for the messages or concern and support from Murphy's fans, of which there are quite a few, which I appreciate even if he is unaware.  He's getting the best care from Dr Andy at Acorn so the rest is up to me (in applying the eye drops every two hours) and fate.

3 comments:

  1. Sally,its so sad to hear the news about little Murphy. I can only imagine how difficult and painful it is for the two of you. I wish I knew what the problem is and why Murphy has to go through this. Is there nothing that can be done further?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot agree strongly enough! I was ill for a weekend and only took the dogs out to relieve themselves. Later as I was lying in bed, the dogs plopped down on the floor next to me and proceeded to shred the rug that they dragged over. They never exhibited bad behavior like that before and it was clear to me that they were letting me know that they were under-stimulated. I dragged my sorry self out of bed and took them to the park. Dogs are social animals, not hermits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am praying hard for Murphy and that his eye will heal. <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete