Friday 19 August 2016

Fri 19th Aug: Justine and Biba

I'm feeling optimistic about the coming weekend now that the weather has cleared up and we are getting more enquiries about adoption.   Following my little plug for Skye yesterday I'm hopeful that she will find a home very soon, and maybe even as soon as Saturday, so I'll be introducing others on a regular basis to give them a better chance of being noticed.

I can't remember who is the young mother and who is the daughter
Two of the current favourites at Tai Po are mother-and-daughter pair Justine and Biba (yes, my little joke) who are one of the many Stanley Barracks dogs that have come to HKDR over the years.  All of these dogs (and puppies), have been lovely, both in looks and temperament, because whoever takes care of them at the barracks is obviously a dog lover.  When I first saw Justine and Biba at AFCD they were quite scared, but that was a temporary reaction to finding themselves suddenly locked up in a scary environment, and they have since both become very happy and sweet young dogs.  They are very close and it would be fantastic to home them together, and since taking care of two dogs is usually easier than just one it's not an unreasonable hope.

Murphy was so brave about losing one eye, but both?
My fear that Murphy's remaining eye might be injured was justified, as I found him sitting quietly when I went into my bedroom and he didn't respond to me in the usual excited way.  I saw that his eye was closed and weeping, and of course he couldn't see.  What amazes me about this little guy is his stoical attitude to everything, just like when he lost his other eye and carried on as if nothing had happened while I was falling apart.  Even while he still had the stitches in he was back to normal, and rejoined the morning walks when the mood took him.  There was nothing I could do about this latest injury other than cleaning his eye as it was too late to get him to a vet, and hoping that once the swelling had gone down he would be OK. I can't blame any of the other dogs as Murphy happily plays rough and tumble with them and I don't think they would deliberately hurt him, but two eyes in the space of a few weeks after years of such interaction is pretty devastating.
Sunday is puppy day again!

No comments:

Post a Comment