Tuesday 26 July 2022

Tues 26th July: All in a day's work

Pug puppies Snoopy and Snuffle at the Ap Lei Chau dog park

 Today was a perfect example of how crazy things can get, and often are, especially when you live in a place where the tides dictate when you can travel.  The day started when I found that one of my Lamma dogs was really not doing at all well, and I knew I had to get her back to ALCVC for more tests and hospitalisation.  I also had an RTHK Radio phone interview scheduled for 9.15am, so I had to make sure I was on the roof to take the call, the only place in the house with even half decent phone reception. 

Iris takes shiba Damson for a swim


Iris was due to come over, Tuesdays being the days that are  when she makes a regular visit to check on the small dogs and to take them out, so we arranged that we'd go over to Ap Lei Chau together with my dog, Imogen, when it was time.   I should mention that Imogen was already overheating, so it was important that she was kept as cool as possible for the boat ride, which meant taking ice packs to put next to her. 

The first thing that happened was that the sampan didn't turn up, and the second was that by then the tide was very low meaning we had to get over the rocks to a neighbour's floating pontoon, the only access point for a boat when the sea is so far out it doesn't reach the end of the pier.  While we waited for another sampan we had to stand Imogen in the sea to keep at least her feet cool, while I was trying to rearrange an appointment I had in Central. 



Our van driver Ming was waiting to pick us up to take us to ALCVC, along with the doberman puppy (now called Dylan) he'd just collected from AFCD, and who would be heading off to his foster home in the afternoon.  This dog is such a sweetheart, and when we finally arrived and I climbed into the back of the van with Imogen (also a big dog), the dobie kissed my face in greeting as though I was his best friend. 

Finally we were in air conditioning, Imogen was dropped off at the vet clinic and Ming drove me to Central before leaving the doberman at Elgin Street for his foster parent to pick up. (Dylan is already doing very well in his lovely holiday home). 

Julius was the last dog to be adopted from Elgin

Meanwhile Julius had been adopted, the last small dog to leave the temporary space we'd set up for the dogs that suddenly arrived in a big group, and the remaining few made the move to what will be our HKDR Headquarters at 13-19 North Street, Kennedy Town. 

Another small dog, Hollis,  was also adopted from our Kennedy Town Homing Centre, where we still have a few small adults waiting, and lots of puppies.  You can see photos at hkdr_eagle (as well as lovely photos of the pug puppies). 

Jolene, Jeremy, Jenkins and Celeste at North Street

Hollis was staying at our Kennedy Town Homing Centre


No comments:

Post a Comment