Thursday 3 March 2016

Thurs 3rd March: We open every day, no exceptions

I have to schedule my days and timing to fit in with AFCD's afternoon opening hours (2pm to 4.30pm) if I am planning a visit, and around Acorn vet clinic's busiest times, although I cheekily pop in unannounced if I get an unexpected new recruit or an emergency case.  I had today carefully mapped out as I also had to fit in an important meeting at two o'clock, as well as pick up the mail from our mailing address at Aberdeen Marina Tower, next to the Marina Club itself, as well as a puppy from AFCD.

As a side note, you may wonder why we use that address rather than our Homing Centres, and it's a long story as the connection to that office dates back to my early days in Hong Kong in the '80's, and while HKDR has moved and may again in the future, as well as there being no postal service to our Tai Po Centre, the Marina Tower address has always been consistent.

Anyway, I arrived to pick up the mail only to discover that the office was closed for a staff lunch, which completely threw out my plans for the day.  I had to hurry on to the next appointment, which lasted a bit longer than I had anticipated, but it was important and very productive.  There will be more about this in the coming weeks.

I knew there was a single puppy at AFCD that had been waiting longer than I would normally leave a baby on its own, so a trip to Pokfulam was also on my "must do" list.  Knowing where I was heading, Andrea at our Ap Lei Chau Homing Centre asked if I could take the new scruffy terrier with me to be microchipped and rabies vaccinated. Still having no van and knowing that I would be going on to Acorn as well as needing to pick up some shopping, I had to ask Kathy if she could come with me so she could take the terrier Scribble back to the Homing Centre while I continued on to Sai Ying Pun.

Scribble is no more than a year old, maybe a bit less, and is my favourite kind of scruffy terrier.  She is also very sweet, although has clearly no experience of walking on a leash or being outside on the street.  Kathy and I took it in turns to carry her down Ap Lei Chau Main Street until we could find a taxi, which Scribble seemed to enjoy, while whoever was empty handed carried the crate that the puppy would need.

With Scribble properly licensed and vaccinated, Kathy took her back to Ap Lei Chau while I got a separate taxi to take the puppy, Albert, to be checked and vaccinated.  As is too common these days, his red cell count was a bit too low for him to be safely given a vaccination, so unfortunately he won't be at Whiskers N Paws this coming Sunday.

We had other new arrivals from AFCD in Sheung Shui today, a pair of six year-old chihuahuas, a chocolate labrador (Bert, nine years old) and a pretty year-old mixed breed girl that I have called Mango.

Both of our Homing Centres are overflowing with lovely dogs needing homes to make space for more, so please email me or drop by and take a look.  We ope every single day of the year, no exceptions, from 10am to 6pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment