Tuesday 3 January 2017

Tues 3rd Jan: Why would anyone do that?

Derek is one very happy puppy
I had to do some shuffling around of the remaining puppies on Lamma to make space for five new arrivals I knew were waiting for me at AFCD in Pokfulam.  In fact I was down to only two puppies left, the others having gone off to foster or their new forever homes, but both Derek and Marley aren't babies any more and older pups tend to bully younger ones, and sometimes quite mercilessly.  Marley is a very timid boy that hasn't even made it to Whiskers N Paws yet due to the fact that it would be too much for him, while Derek is completely the opposite being full of fun and confidence.  I knew he needed more space than my puppy area could offer anyway, so asked my neighbours (and adopters of Benji and Suzie) if I could send Derek over for doggie day care.  I'm very lucky to have such nice people living next door, and they previously looked after Goofy for a short time as well as others that have since left.  Derek loves his new big friends, but he can't stay and needs to move on to his own forever home, so please come and meet him next Sunday at Whiskers N Paws, or let me know if you would like to arrange another time and day.
It's back to Sundays again

(Marley had to move into the big dog space an screamed all night, so I need to find an alternative somehow).

The five pups that I collected from AFCD are one litter and all look somewhat alike, except they range in size from really quite small to one large one.  I assume the parents were different sizes too, but anyway there is a choice for anyone interested in adopting and they are all very pretty.

There were new dogs that I hadn't seen before at AFCD of course, one a small/medium one year-old, and the other a largeish and very beautiful crossbreed that had been surrendered by a "foreigner". When I take this very beautiful dog out and post its photo no doubt someone will recognise it as it's not a standard-looking type but really quite distinctive.  The AFCD staff member who mentioned the fact that the dog had belonged to a non-local did so because he was under the illusion that all foreigners (I assume Westerners) were kind to their dogs and was surprised that any would do something as heartless as taking one to AFCD (and signing the death warrant), but I was able to correct him and say that it makes no difference.  There are heartless individuals in all societies and race or gender is irrelevant.

Dasher has had lots of offers of a home of course
You might ask, just as I do, why would anyone take their dog to AFCD rather than find it a new home? We got a very beautiful one year-old dappled dachshund from AFCD at the weekend, and not only is he lovely to look at he is also very sweet and playful.  Maybe the person who bought him couldn't handle the energy or barking, and it's highly likely the dog was left alone and under-exercised, as is normal.  Of course we have had a lot of offers of a new home so why not bring the dog to us in the first place?
Piglet already has at least 2 homes to go to


Likewise the pug I took out today, a very young, totally healthy and very sweet boy who had all of the Ap Lei Chau team besotted within seconds of his arrival.  Why would anyone do that?  If you have a lovely, easy-to-home dog that for whatever reason you can't keep, there are so many alternatives to AFCD that you can go to, like HKDR for example.  There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for anyone to abandon their pet and leave it to die.  Anyone who does this, and I'm including the "foreigner" who took his dog to its death cell, needs to take a long and hard look in the mirror and see if they like what's reflected there.

No comments:

Post a Comment