Friday 6 January 2017

Fri 6th Jan: Looking forward to the weekend

Happy Silo is 18 months old
I went back to AFCD today to take out the little guy whose release papers hadn't been ready yesterday, and he was obviously delighted.  I have had so many enquiries about the dapple dachshund, who has already been adopted, and I wonder how many people will be interested in Silo, a mixed breed but the same age as Dasher.  I'm sure he's a much easier character in terms of energy and behaviour, as dachshunds are notoriously "naughty" in a cheeky kind of way (not malicious) and can be a real handful.  Silo has been someone's pet as he was surrendered to AFCD with his nice harness and leash, and had already been desexed. Who was his owner and what is his story?  I really wish I knew the backgrounds of all of the dogs that come to us as it would really help is so many ways.

Lucy has moved to her new forever home
Lucy, an Old English sheepdog cross, was surrendered directly to us so we at least knew where she had come from and why she had been given up (teenage son lost interest).  She was lucky enough to find a lovely foster home, and from there she has now moved on to an equally nice forever family where I'm sure she'll be very happy.  The funny thing is, I posted her photo and details a few times after she came to us but it was only the last time that there was any response, and then there quite a few enquiries .  It was obviously Lucy's time to move on.

The variation in a dog's character is as defined as any human, and you can find the whole spectrum in the canine world.  Happy, carefree, confident, gregarious, smart and friendly to shy, introverted, lacking in confidence and social skills, and so on.  I have all types living with me but I have to say that siblings Griffin and Opal are quite unique in their un-dog like behaviour, the reason why both have been adopted and returned.  Opal completely outsmarted me last thing at night when it was time for her to come inside, and although I ended up angry and frustrated I was still full of admiration for the way she played her games and tricked me time and again. In the end she won and I had to go to bed without her, so I'm already planning this evening's strategy. We'll see.

I'm sure a lot of our supporters are wondering what is going to happen with our small Homing Centre at Ap Lei Chau, and while I don't have any answers yet I can say that we are following up on all suggestions and leads that we think could be suitable.  As soon as there is anything concrete you can be sure I'll let you know.

For now it's business as usual and I hope I'll be writing about lots of happy adoptions after the weekend.  Remember it's Puppy Day again on Sunday, and there will be lots of lovely new faces for you to meet.


No comments:

Post a Comment