Friday 20 January 2017

Fri 20 Jan: It's time for TNR

Two of the pekes
We all know Chinese New Year is a time for a big clean and getting rid of old stuff, but unfortunately that often includes old family members.  I'm talking about dogs of course, and today I picked up three old Pekingese who had been surrendered to AFCD from the same home.  So many of my Lamma dogs are the same age or even older than these three, but I could never imagine in my wildest dreams thinking it was time they went.  The youngest of the pekes is eleven, but still they are all perfectly mobile and quite possibly have a good few years ahead of them.
Peke boy Tricky

While there are too many people who think that old age or illness is a good reason to get rid of a dog, there are others who think that's a good reason to adopt.  Our most prolific adopter of the old, blind and crippled came back today to pick up Lomax, an ex-breeder shih tzu who lost his sight due to untreated dry eye.  Tommy has given a home and new life to so many special needs dogs, and all of them are treated with nothing but love and kindness until the very end.
Lucky Lomax (right)


Another special needs dog was adopted today, as tiny teacup Yorkie Wobbly had his foster status upgraded despite having a very serious health issue with a guarded prognosis.  His adopter understands that nobody can say how long Wobbly will live or how he will recover or deteriorate, so thank you too for such kindness.
Bramley's staying where he is


Scottie Bramley is another lucky dog whose foster couldn't bear to let him go when we were arranging for him to meet a potential adopter.

Bertha the bulldog had her emergency surgery today and it was just as well.  She had a large pyometra (infected uterus) as well as a pus-filled abdomen, and had she not been thrown out by the breeder and brought to us she would certainly have died in a horrible way.  Luckily she has a home waiting for her when she's ready to leave hospital, although she still has heartworm which needs to be treated as well as possible/probable tick fever.  Did I ever mention how much I hate breeders?
Bertha will be OK finally


I picked up three month-old puppies from AFCD today, as well as a poodle that has been waiting a very long time to be released.  The kennels are overflowing with puppies and I was told that in just one place there were thirty stray-born pups.  This situation really can't continue as it is, and something must be done about getting a territory-wide desexing programme in place.  Trials aren't necessary as we know how effective Trap, Neuter and Return is, but not if it's only carried out in small areas.  It's time to stop pandering to the few ignorant District Councillors who object to TNR in their areas and get started.

Last chance before the New Lunar Year
Some of the new puppies will be joining the pre-Chinese New Year adoption party at Whiskers N Paws on Sunday, so see you there!

4 comments:

  1. What can we do to support TNR? Is it just to write letters to our local representatives? Start a petition? I don't know much about local politics or community activism, so I'm not sure where to start. I hate seeing abandoned dogs and puppies roaming around New Territories, where I live. I want TNR implemented NOW, but how to organize and fight for it? Is there a group that is fighting for TNR that I can help or volunteer with? I want to help, but I'm not sure what is the best, most effective way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, writing to your Local District Councillors is the best thing to do, as it is up to them whether or not they want TNR in their districts.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely couple to take the old dogs. I will do it again in the future, but not right now. I'm so sad when I read that the cold-hearted owners give them up at old age!!! My babies are with me to the end and in my arms at the end! My Cindy [Sina] passed away just before Christmas. I have adopted a breeder dog, a dachshund 5 1/2 years old a few weeks ago. I will post her story later this evening. Can we sign a petition for TNR??? Stupid councillors who oppose TNR! Every vet program I watch on TV, all advocate to neuter every dog that comes into their clinic!!!!! Like the idiot US President who says the Chinese invented Global Warming!!!! There are many ostriches around with their heads in the sand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I visited with the Pekes today. They're adorable. Really sweet, affectionate and (coming from the owner of a rescue Peke) pretty un-Peke like! ;) How old do you think Tricky is? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete